Sunday, February 01, 2004

Saturday 31st January 2004, Day 140/273 - Honolulu, Oahu, Hawaii to Wailuku, Maui, Hawaii

After 4 rather uncomfortable hours in the comfy (!) chair in a dated terminal, we eventually checked in for the first Aloha Airlines flight of the day (cost $170 return) to Maui. It was nice to have spent the night outside and for it still to be warm, the terminal is pretty much open air. It was a nice change from all the pissy weather I've had since Hollywood. We even had the cheesy Hawaiian music being played all night. I found myself doing the little hula dance. I resisted the urge for a Burger King breakfast and had a bowl of fruit instead, for which I am intensely proud.

The flight left at at 5.50 and hadn't even ended the take off before it started the descent. It took 20 minutes from the wheels leaving the ground in Honolulu before they touched down again in Kahlulia, Maui. We had to wait till 8.00 for the hostel to come pick us up for free. Staying at the Banana Bungalow @ 310 N market Street. I was attracted to the hostel as they offer free tours every day.

Today's tour is a 12 mile hike through the lava fields, but I don't think we're up to that today. So we took a walk down to the beach. It was a long walk and wasn't really worth it. Wailuku doesn't seem a particularly convenient place for tourists (I guess that's an attraction) so we're a long way from anything. It would make a good base to explore if you had a car, but we'll just take advantage of the free tours instead. I'd assumed Maui was small, but it isn’t.