Wednesday, February 04, 2004

Sunday 1st February 2004, Day 141/273 - Wailuku, Maui, Hawaii

Well here we are on Superbowl Sunday. I'm in America and not going to get to see the game. Could be worse though as I'm taking the hostels free tour to Makena Beach.

It was a 45 minute drive to get there and it wasn't a disappointment. It was a proper tropical beach, with nice light sand and beautiful blue seas. We played volleyball on the beach and then refreshed ourselves in the cool water.






On a Sunday all the hippies (I tried to think of a better word for them) come down to the small beach to praise the ocean or something. Basically they just get naked and stoned. I climbed over the rocks to get to the small beach to see what it was all about. It was a load of people with dreadlocks and piercings (everywhere) sittings around playing bongo drums and didgeridoos. I would have hung about if it had been local folk and it was an historic tradition, but as it was just a load of space cadets with nothing better to do. I took my leave and headed back to the main beach.

We got to see a whale. Initially it was only blowing, but eventually it started breaching, which was an amazing thing to see. The hippies would have been in ecstasy. It's a sign. Whatever it was it was cool.

I always remember my Uncle Ted and Auntie Margaret used to come to Hawaii and when I used to visit them used to show there slides of the sunsets. Today's sunset didn't disappoint. The pictures on the left will prove that.



In other news, I have decided to extend my tour. I'm going to use every single one of my 365 days. I haven't changed my flights yet, but my proposed new itinerary will be.

6/Feb/2004 to 14/Feb/2004 - Oahu, Hawaii
14/Feb/2004 to 21/Feb/2004 - Fiji
21/Feb/2004 to 30/Apr/2004 - New Zealand
30/Apr/2004 to 30/Jul/2004 - Australia.
30/Jul/2004 to 14/Sep/2004 - Singapore to Bangkok.

Then home. So Nik, no I won't be back for Grandday. It's a tough life.

and Beemer that means I can start work on the 20th of September.