Sunday, September 21, 2003

Friday 19th September 2003 - Day 6/273 - Boston, Massachusetts

I find it ironic that I'm in Boston and it's nearly October. That statement will mean something to people who know what it means, but it is fair to say that Boston has alot to be blamed for and I suppose a lot to be thankful for.

Today we took a walk to the hostel to check it out and see if we could book an extra night in Boston. The hostel looked a lot nicer than the one in New York, but was unfortunately booked up so we'll have to spend an extra (expensive) night in the Chandler Inn in Chandler Street.

Next stop was the Mapparium by the Christian Science Centre. It was basically a big stain glassed globe that was built in the early 1900's and has a map of the world as it was then. It had a presentation on how the world changes and develops. Apparently it's the biggest of it's kind in the world, but it wasn't the most amazing experience that I've ever had.

On the agenda next was Cheers for a spot of brunch. For me this was one of the reasons why i came to Boston. Before you go, you should know that this bar was only the inspiration for the show and it's a very different layout inside. I felt it was tacky and touristy and a conveyor belt.



From Cheers it was a metro journey to Harvard University. The metro's remind me of a Ghost Train @ a funfair. They are more like a Blackpool tram than a tube train. At $1 a trip though you can't really complain. A tip though, you must know your final destination or else you could end up going down the wrong entrance.

I think we missed a trick with Harvard. Everyone gave us the impression that it was worth a visit, but it wasn't really. There were lots of building some nice and some not, but maybe we just missed the point.

So we headed back into town to Cheers 2 which was supposedly set out in the same style as the TV show. It so wasn't and was a blatant rip off. I was gutted.

As part of our trolley tour from yesterday we were given a free ticket for a harbour cruise. We took them up on the offer to waste an hour and also to get some more abuse about being English from the tour guide. Get over it it was 200 years ago.

The cruise was interesting and informative and USS Constitution, which is the oldest sailing commissioned warship. Apparently it never lost a battle and had 22inch thick wooden sides that canon balls just bounced off which gave it the nickname of 'Old Ironsides'.



Boston is significant to the war of independance because it was where the first British troops landed and where the last one departed. They still haven't forgotten either.



The Site of the Boston Tea Party. Not much to say about that really.


I've had news that my tenant is moving out on the 17th November 2003. That could make this a really short trip. I just hope that my agent gets there fingers out and sorts it out.

In the evening we went for a meal in a Mexican Baja in Dartmouth Street. The food was very nice, but the portions are so big everywhere. I can bearly manage to finish a starter, but the prices are reasonable. Everything in America seems to be covered in cheese though.

We then went back to the hotel for a freshen up and a drink in the Gay Bar (really). I don't mind admitting that I was a little intimidated, but Mx was in a worse position after all she was the only girl. I said I wanted to meet all sorts, didn't I.

We drank up (quickly) and headed back to Dartmouth Street to the Clery's an Irish bar, which was just like Harwoods. It may sound funny to say, that this is the first that me and Mx have really had time to sit and talk about stuff and let our hair down. Up to now we've been too busy getting round sights and planning our next move.

The drinks are expensive, but the measures are lethal. We blagged our way into Carlo's birthday party.

"So how do you know Carlos?"

"He's my drug dealer"


Mx and I pissed. Can you tell?