Sunday, September 21, 2003

Sunday 21st September 2003 - Boston, Massachusetts to Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Managed to sleep for 14 hours straight. Obviously needed it. Mx has gone to Cape Cod today on the 90 minute express ferry. I felt that the $50 + was a bit too much and I'm happy amusing myself.

I headed up to the Charles River for a moments reflection. The spot is idylic and I'm lucky to be here.

I'm meeting Mx at 17.30 and then we're off to Imax, then picking our bags up from the hotel and catching the 00.45 Greyhound to Montreal.

Thanks to everyone who sent messages who were concerned about the hurricane. We missed it. The weather in general has been sunny, although we did have heavy showers the other day. Anyway you guys forget that I was in Dover for the 1987 hurricane and survived, just!!!

The Afternoon was spent wrestling with an Apple Mac trying to send the pics to Stan. I see that some of them have come through and are up, cheers mate, but I some have been returned to me as your box is full.

On a Sunday Boston was full of tourists. Considering it's off season there were loads of the buggers (and yes I realise I'm one of them). The American's love coming up here in the fall to watch the foliage change, it's all they talk about. Oh man the things we take for granted.

I met Mx off the Princetown ferry as agreed at 17.30. She said that Cape Cod was really beautiful although has only taken 2 photos to prove it. I think if I had been here for a week then it would have been worth a visit. That and Martha's Vineyard. Cape Cod is accessible by a slower/cheaper ferry or also by road, but it's quite a way round.

We headed for the Imax to experience the International Space Station in full 3d on 85ft / 65ft screen. It cost us $8.50 and the effects were fab and it was a very informative. If you get a chance to see it then go. Incidentally it was actually filmed in Space, by the real astronauts, that's what they said anyway.

We went back to Clery's for dinner and it was probably the best meal I've had so far. It was chicken and chips, but this time there was no sign of any cheese only a sweet thai chilli sauce.

Next stop was back to the hotel to collect our bags. I know for you guys this is mundane stuff, but it's something you'll need to consider if you go travelling. The bus terminals normally have a left luggage facility (for a few), but because it was Sunday it closed at 17.00. We had to leave our bags in the hotel lobby, but then so did everyone else. They were still there when we got back anyway.

We got to the terminal nice and early to catch the 00.45 bus to Montreal. Boston's South Terminal is much newer and nicer than the terminal at New York and all in all it's not a bad place to be (for a bus terminal). The bus however was packed so it didn't look like we'd get a chance to get comfortable and get some sleep. I think they're a great way to travel City to City. You get to see plenty of countryside (not when it's dark, obviously) and see and meet lots of interesting people too.

The route took us up through New Hampshire and Vermont, via the towns of Manchester, Dartmouth and Burlington. It stopped about 8 times during the night so this didn't help the sleep pattern.

Thankfully alot of people got off at Manchester so we were able to spread out. I can't tell you the number of positions I went through to try and get comfortable. I think someone should write a book on it. I ended up with my head on the armrest, my back accross 2 seats and my legs vertical up against the window. What a picture that is. I hope no one's eating.