Sunday, September 28, 2003

Thursday 25th September 2003 - Day 12/273 - Toronto, Ontario

We went our separate ways again today. I think we both feel that we needed our own space as we've essentially been living in each others pockets and we're both interested in different things. So I've decided to do some sporty things (viewing) and Mx has decided that after 10 days with me she needs a bit of culture and who can blame her.

My first stop was some breakfast in one of Toronto's numerous underground shopping malls. This definately gave Toronto a very young feel as the cafe's were as varied as they were numerous. They were filled with young suited and booted types getting there fill of freshly squeezed fruit juices and Butterscotch Muffins (alright that was me apart from the suited and booted bit). I feel that Toronto would be a nice and fresh place to work although judging by yesterday, rush hour is a nightmare. It has a good Metro and tram service although everywhere is walkable and also the trains come right into the centre of town.

After my Butterscotch Muffin I headed to the Hockey Hall of Fame which charged C$12 entry. The Americans sure do know how to celebrate there sporting heroes. It was basically a museum full of Shirts, pucks and sticks which all had a meaning. I think you've got to be a real fan to appreciate it. I was very impressed with the Stanley Cup that was on show and I believe it is the biggest trophy in the world. I also know of Wayne Gretzky and Mario LeMieux, but not many of the others. Interestingly though they did have a stick that the Bracknell Bees goaltender had used to assist 4 goals in one game against the Basingstoke Bison in 1997.


The Stanley cup


After the Hall of Fame I headed to the Air Canada Centre where the Toronto Raptors (NBA) and the Toronto Maple Leafs (NHL) play there games. I did resist the urge of another stadium tour though. I only visited the club shop.

Right next door to the ACC is the highlight of Toronto, the CN Tower. At a total height of 553 m it is enormous. I spent C$23.99 which entitled me to access the Observation Level at 346m, , the glass floor at 342m and the Sky pod at 447m. The lift ascends to the Observation Level at 15mph and takes 58 seconds to get there. To put it in perspective the Empire State Building Observation level is 106 stories, this one is 114 stories and the Sky Pod is at 147 stories. There is also a restaurant just above the Observation Level that is the highest in the world. Mx visited it and said it was very nice. The view from the observation deck over Lake Ontario and the province of Ontario is amazing, but I would advise you to take the further lift up to the Skypod for an extra treat. A walk on the glass floor is a must too. I think it conquered my dislike of heights. The CN Tower is considered one of the 7 wonders of the world. The other 6 are Empire State Building (done), North Sea Protection Works, Panama Canal, Golden Gate Bridge (Doing), The Chunnel (done), The Itaipu Dam (Brazil). My only question is where is White Hart Lane on the list, it's a mystery to me?


The CN Tower


Don't Look Down


I needed some lunch now so I went in search of Hooters. This was in honour of the fact that my Parents (HI Mum, Hi Dad) had eaten here on a football tour 2 years ago. Now I got the impression that this wasn't an entirely classy establishment, but not a dive either. What I found was a bit of a sleazy dive and they were proud of that fact. It has to be said that the beer was cold, the food okay and the Hooters were lovely, not many owls though.

Belly full I headed back to the Sky Dome which is right next to the CN Tower and booked myself on a tour (C$12). I know this is becoimg a theme, but I guess it's a phase that I'm going through and it'll soon pass. I have always wanted to watch sports in America though so this is the ideal opportunity. In fact the SkyDome is interesting in itself. It was the first stadium with a fully retractable roof. It takes 20minutes to retract and it's impressive to watch. The complex also has a hotel and restaurants incorporated and these have views over the field.

I bought tickets for the evening Baseball game which was between the Tampa Bay Devil Rays and the Toronto Blue Jays. I treated myself and spent C$37 (prices start at C$7) and got a seat in line with 1st base (it's a while since I've been there) and 11 rows back. I had a few hours to kill before the game so decided to establish myself in the Hard Rock Cafe and enjoy a few beers whilst watching over the warm up. I could get used to this.


My View


The game itself was a late season affair with both teams having nothing to play for so fielding a number of rookies. The crowd was about 8,000 in a stadium that holds 51,000. I did however witness a piece of history as Carlos Delgado hit 4 home runs in the game, making him the 5th in American League history and the 15th in Major League history to do so. This included his 300th career home run. He also scored 7 RBI's in the game. Ask Big Steve what that means. The game finished 10-8 to Toronto and the crowd went home extremely happy after a high scoring and topsy turvy game. For me it still doesn't excite me, but each to their own I suppose.

All the usual types of things are on sale like candy floss, peanuts, hot dogs and beer. The seller's wander around the stand shouting what they have on offer. The funniest chant of the night goes to the Beer Seller with (to the tune a popular recent hit) 'It's getting hot in here, somebody needs a beer'. It made me laugh. The $8 a can also made me laugh.

One more gripe, if I get confronted by another beggar, well I'm gonna set Mx on them. They've been noticable in every city we've been to so far. I know they'er everywhere at home, but here they seem really brash and forward. I have to say that I've never felt threatened, but don't they realise I haven't got a budget for beggars.