Monday, November 10, 2003

Monday 10th November 2003, Day 58/273 - Dallas, Texas to San Antonio, Texas

Caught the 11.15 greyhound to San Antonio. Before we left a deaf women handed out key rings in the hope of a small donation. I'm not normally tight, but it really is impossible to help everyone who asks, it's quite depressing. And no I didn't keep the key ring. I've let my guard down on a couple of occassions and been stung for a few dollars here and there.

Today has brightened up after the last few days of cloud and rain, although it is still not the oppressive heat that I was expecting.

The scenary is some of the nicest that I've seen. It reminds me of the New Forest, the part when the trees finish on the A31 down to Bournemouth.

We stopped in Waco at 13.00 and Austin at 14.45 before arriving in San Antonio at 16.40 and meeting up with Mx again.  It's nice to see her.  

We went to 'Dicks Last Resort' for the best Rib Eye Steak (Texas style) ever. 'Dicks Last Resort' is reknowned for its abusive waiters. The idea is to give you a light hearted night out. I've had more abusive staff in McDonalds. The waiter said that we were too nice and didn't give him anything to grab on to. What does he expect, we are English!

We're staying in the Crockett Hotel which is now a Holiday Inn right in the centre of San Antonio, overlooking the Alamo.

I've finished book number 5 of the tour. It was Bill Bryson's - 'The Mother Tongue'. It's a fascinating look at how the English language evolved. For someone of my reading capabilities (limited) it took quite a lot of concentration to get through it.

I've got to be honest and say that I'm quite bored of the USA. All the cities are quite similar in appearance and are limited in the variety of decent things to do. I'm going on in the hope that the West Coast will excite me. I've been to 19 cities in 58 days and now I'm left with only 3 to do before Christmas in San Francisco. Las Vegas, Los Angeles and San Diego sound very enticing.