Friday, November 07, 2003

Wednesday 5th November 2003, Day 53/273 - Houston, Texas

Happy Bonfire Night, Y'all. Not a sign of a firework here.

The route last night took us to Montgomery, Alabama (23.45), Mobile, Alabama (3.30) through Mississippi, then Baton Rouge, Louisiana (7.00) finally arriving in Houston, Texas at 12.00. Along the way we lost an hour, but picked up a comidic bus driver. Obviously the drivers change every so often (shame we can't substitute passengers). As we were about to leave Mobile the driver shouts to the bloke outside "If I get lost I'll give you a call" and then turns to us and says "That was a joke, y'all". Maybe we would have laughed had it not been 3.00 am. You just knew she would have crunched the gears if it wasn't an automatic. Anyway all that means is that I am now 6 hours behind you.

Every bus on this route is express. Mainly because there is nothing that gets in the way apart from trees.

I did consider going to New Orleans, but the French thing made me think better of it. Also I've arranged to be with Andy H in San Angelo on the 13th and I want to do Houston, Dallas and San Antonio before I get to Andy's. New Orleans did kind of appeal, mainly for the parties, but the hostels have a bad reputation and my beer tokens are still rationed.

I spent most of the journey sitting next to a guy called Rene, from New York. Suffice to say he spent most of the time talking about himself and bigging up New York. I'll spare you the details.

I thought travelling was supposed to be a brain fart, but mine has been so active that it amazes me. I've even developed a desire to learn more about things and got into reading about them. Until very recently my reading consisted of the Beano and Oor Wullie annuals. Both I got as Xmas presents every year and they took me a year to read.

I've also noticed that when you're away your days get all messed up, but having done 2 overnighters in 3 days I'm all over the shop. That hour I lost hasn't helped. It has really thrown me over the edge.

Anyway from the terminal I walked to the hostel still with my 50lbs of dirty laundry and the hostel office doesn't open until 17.00. So it's another 4.5 hour wait for me and I can't get at the washer. There seems to be 2 nice people at the hostel though. Shanon (boy) and a girl who's just come back from Mexico. They seem really nice, but the conversation went.

Me:- So where you from?
Shanon :- Indiana
Me:- So what you doing here?
Shanon :- Looking for a place to rent.
Mexico girl :- I'm local and I'm just helping him out. We met on the net.
Shanon :- So you wanna come along for the ride?
Me:- Yeah alright. So what were you doing in Mexico?
Mexico Girl :- Preaching on a Mission, I'm a preacher.
Shanon (to me) :- You coming with us?
Me:- Maybe
Shanon (to preacher) :- We should phone the police and see what the crime rate is like in that area.
Preacher :- I know the area well. I was part of the crime rate until I was saved.
Shanon :- Praise the lord.
Preacher :- Praise him, indeed.
Me :- .....
Shanon :- So you coming with us
Me:- No. I'll just get my head down.

I eventually checked in. It's okay here for $14 a night. It's out of downtown and in the museum district.  Houston is massive and you need a car to get anywhere. The hostel has some funny rules. Like you don't get a key for the room and the are locked between 10.00 and 17.00 everyday. Managed to do my washing.