Friday, November 21, 2003

Monday 17th November 2003, Day 65/273 - San Angelo, Texas to Phoenix, Arizona

I realised in the morning that I hadn't abused Andy's hospitality nearly enough, so I spent the morning on his internet. Some of the time I spent researching the remainder of my USA trip, but I also managed to book tickets for the Pro Bowl, which is in Hawaii, on the 8th February 2004.

Andy gave me a lift down to the terminal for my 12.45 bus to Pheonix. It turns out that my pass running out on the 17th means that I can't travel on the 17th. I find that slightly odd, but that's life. So my 800 odd mile, 19 hour trip on greyhound cost me $115. I'd decided not to renew anyway as I'll be travelling less for the next 60 days. I'm also considering taking a couple of plane trips for the longer journey, notably San Francisco to Denver. I've worked out the prices and there isn't a lot of difference. Plus 60 days on a greyhound is quite long enough, thanks.

I must say thank you to Andy, Jane, Louise and Rosie for looking after me so well. I can't say how nice it was to meet you and what it means to be looked after for a few days. I hope I can return the favour some day.

It's back to reality for me. Well my reality anyway. The reality of a 28 year old divorced man, travelling across America on the Greyhound and all that entails.

I must say that the Texas people (and even the greyhound passengers) have been really pleasant. You don't have to make any effort with them. They approach you and it makes a nice change from the East Coast and the UK. I also like Texans because they all think that I'm just out of school. The countryside is really nice as well. I feel like I'm in a Wrigleys advert. The land is very flat and dotted with small oil wells. The occasional one is pumping away. Not something you'd see at home.

We got to Big Spring at 14.15 and then El Paso at 21.30 having lost another hour. El Paso is still in Texas, but is in a different time zone. Go figure. All that means I'm now 7 hours behind you at home and after 12 nights it's bye bye to Texas.

We got stopped by a border immigration patrol who stormed (I'm playing this up) the bus and asked if we were Americans. If you said yes they moved on to the next person. If you said no they wanted to see your passport. I'm not sure of the sense behind that. Anyway one Mexican women got disembarked never to be seen again. Well not by us anyway.

It's dark now and it's still very flat and there's no lights to be seen anywhere. It reminds me of flying over Africa at night, apart from the massive dual carriageway scythed through the middle of the land.

We also got searched for knifes again, by a guard who stated that 1 in 10 passengers carry knives. Well I'm one of the 9 as mine's still in Orlando.

So we continued through New Mexico and on to Tucson, Arizona (4.15) and then finally Phoenix, Arizona - America's 6th Largest City. I'd managed to get precisely no sleep on the bus again, mainly due to 3 people having a chin wag the whole time. Good job I'd got enough sleep @ Andy's.