Monday, March 29, 2004

Saturday 27th March 2004, Day 196/366 - Methven, New Zealand to Christchurch, New Zealand to Interisland Ferry, New Zealand.

Had a nice chat with Susan from Boston, MA over breakfast. She was one of those masseus' who thought her hands had healing powers and she could feel energy. Interesting, but weird.

Hit the road again heading back to Christchurch. Managed to hit a bird and got blood all over the windscreen. Is it only me who feels really bad when this happens? I went back through Rakaia Gorge. It's amazing how different a place can look from the other direction, but it was still gorgeous. I took the road past Lakes Coleridge and Ida and then it was back in Chirstchurch having covered 700kms.

Liz and I had the lets just be 'friends' chat. I kind of knew it was coming, but it's still hard to take when it comes. We had tickets for the rugby in the evening, but I couldn't find any accomodation in Christchurch for that night so I took off north with the intention of staying in Kaikoura.

Then I sowed the seed in my head that I could head to the North Island and see some friendly faces (who I've never met before), watch some cricket and get the tour back on the road. Thought I should go back to my original plan, which was to not have a plan.

After a 3 hour drive I managed to jump on the 1st available ferry which was the 21.30 to Wellington. I was able to transfer my tickets, but I need to contact the broker about getting the money back for my missing passenger. Luckily I got to watch the Rugby on the ferry. Looks like I missed a good game.

It's fair to say that I'm leaving the South Island with some great memories and just a tinge of sadness. I'll be back to the South, but no plans eh!