Tuesday, March 30, 2004

Tuesday 30th March 2004, Day 199/366 - Matamata, New Zealand to Taupo, New Zealand.

The Tanners' is such a nice place to stay. I was made to feel totally at home and the setting is wonderful out with the sheep, cows, pigs, dogs and chucks. It's farming land and farmers everywhere.

The Kiwi's are so genuine. They are very engaging when you enter a shop and you don't feel it is put on. It can be quite disconcerting initially, but nice when you get used to it.

I took the 45 minute drive to Rotorua. I was surprised by the size of it in a nice way, there seemed lots to do so in my usual way I decided to give it a miss. I thought I could come back here on day trips from the Tanners house. So I headed to Taupo.

On the road down to Taupo I stopped at the Wai-o-Tapu Thermal Wonderland. It cost $18.50 for entry and I'd missed the daily geyser blowing which happens at 10.15. My first thought was that I was glad I hadn't had any breakfast as I was sure it would reappear from gagging at the horrible smell that goes with this place.

It takes a little while to get used to the smell of the place, but once you do it is a wonderous place to visit. There are craters caused by erosion from the boiling and acidic water. There are all types of colours and smells. The ground steams from the fumaroles. There are boiling mud pools that you get to walk over and through the hot steam vapours. It's weird going from the cold breeze of the day to the warm steam.





Scenes from the Wai-o-Taup Thermal Wonderland near Rotorua. All the colours don't come out and you're can't imagine the smell from it.


The view as you come down Highway 5 over a crest and you see Lake Taupo with the snow capped mountains in the background is again stunning. I checked into the YHA $20 and had a peak around Taupo. To be honest I wasn't totally enamoured with Taupo. It kind of feels like a poor mans Queenstown. It was a little too touristy for me. Don't get me wrong it is nice. Sorry Milkmaid, I'm sure it's lovely to live here.

I took a drive down to Turangi and back up the west side of Lake Taupo. It's a nice drive, but theres not too much to see.