Friday, March 05, 2004

Sunday 22nd February 2004, Day 162/366 - Nadi, Viti Levu, Fiji to Christchurch, New Zealand.

The night was too hot, there were too many mozzies and too many excitable young australians so I checked out at 2.30, got a taxi (F$5) and spent 3 uncomfortable hours in the airport waiting for check in to open. At least they had air conditioning.

In the taxi on the way back to the airport, along the same route I'd taken just 7 days before I realised just how much I'd learnt that week. They were 7 of the longest and most trying (mentally) days of my life. I would have liked to have seen more of the main island and the islands, but I'm worn out. I'll come back with more confidence and experience to explore further and better prepared. It's an easy place to travel around. There are travel agents everywhere, just be sure that you know what you want to do and see.

I was on the 8.40 to Auckland. The flight took 2 hours 50 minutes. The film was 'Don't go breaking my heart' which really didn't hold my attention. We arrived in Auckland at 12.40 there's a 1 hour difference due to daylight savings so now I'm 13 hours ahead of you.

Took ages to get through customs because of a computer malfunction and they are very thorough in checking for meats and flowers that may damage NZ's agriculture.

I walked over to the domestic terminal for a transfer to Christchurch costing NZ$ 110 with Qantas. Doesn't leave till 16.30 so I got to watch Parkinson and AB Fab, which was a little strange after being in America for so long. The flight took 1 hour 20 mins.

When I got to Christchurch I checked myself into the Crowne Plaza NZ$180 as I felt the need to treat myself, to a bath especially. The airport transfer cost NZ$14.

My first impressions were that NZ is very green, not very busy and there's a nice sprawl to the cities. The south has less inhabitants and on the western coast has mountains and glaciers. The land was flat around Christchurch. There are loads of sheep and pig farms. Auckland felt like a big airport. Christchurch didn't. The temperature was 32 degs in Auckland and 17 degs in Christchurch.