Wednesday, March 03, 2004

Sunday 15th February 2004, Day 155/366 - Waikiki, Oahu, Hawaii to Mana, Fiji Islands.

I've no idea where Saturday the 14th of February 2004 went.  Our flight was delayed in Honolulu while they resolved a technical issue with the plane. They wanted to off load passengers, to lighten the plane as they were worried the pilots may run out of hours.  I volunteered as I haven't booked any accommodation in Fiji and most other people had connections to make. In the end they didn't need us to off load as they thought they could make it!

It turns they couldn't make it and the plans were further scuppered by the weather in Fiji, a cyclone apparently. We ended up having to stop in Apia, Samoa.  They had to fly a new plane and crew. After 2 hours on the ground in Apia it took 1 hour 35 mins to get to Nadi, Fiji.
On the the first flight I watched my new favourite movie 'Radio'. On the second plane I was trying to decide where to stay. I want to see Mana Island, Beachcomber Island and Nanana I Ru Island. I'll just play it by ear. I considered doing the Feejee experience, but I think I'll just make my own way after meeting some of the kids doing the experience in the departure lounge.

It's my 1st time in the southern hemisphere and you know what it doesn't feel any different, just warmer. I'm now 12 hours ahead.

From what I saw Samoa it was very nice. Arrived 6 hours late in Nadi at 12.00. The weather was rainy and windy, but humid, but its a good day because Fleet won for the first time in months.

When you clear customs there are lots of people waiting around to book you in to the island resorts. It was a very slick operation within about 15 minutes I had my next 10 days planned out. I'm glad I did it as now I won't be wasting any days.

They arranged my taxi to the marina (F$30) where I was to transfer to the island of Mana. At the dock I got all the horror stories of sea sickness and cyclones. The 90 minute transfer to Mana costs F$56. There was a massive storm came in as I was about to board so this could get icky. It's been a long day and after 2 turbulent flights this is the last thing I need.

As it happened I managed to keep my breakfast down. I can't say the same for all the other passengers. Good luck to Mx on her cruise.

Staying at Ratu Kini's for F$45 including meals. Feel like I've been stiffed. Dinner was very basic and accommodation has no hot water and the electricity is sporadic. I'm not sure what the meat was but there are a few dogs running around. Maybe there are one less than there was yesterday. It's also pissing it down.

Eastwood told me that this was paradise and that Mana was her favorite place in Fiji. It feels far from that right now. Let me get some sleep and see in the morning.