Sunday, August 22, 2004

Saturday 21st August 2004 - Day 342/365 - Tanjung Bungah, Penang, Malaysia to Ao Nang, Thailand

After my parents left last night, folowing a farewell that we had waited all day for, had come up rather quickly and was far too brief, I slipped off to the Night Market to spend the remaining Ringits. Loads of stalls down there, but they all sell the same stuff. Mainly cheap DVD's.

Boy do those Durians smell. How can anybody even think of eating them.

Got a taxi back to the hotel.

Driver - You on your own?

Bloo - Yeah

Driver - You want some company for tonight?

Bloo - Not the kind your offering.

Oh the offers you get when you're footloose and fancy free. There was an uncomfortable silence the rest of the way.

Saw Chris Hoy win our first gold medal. Seems that the Brits are out there in Numbers and creating a great atmosphere, even if we haven't got a terrific standard of athletes out there.

I shedded a load of my weight and a bag to my parents to take home for me. Man it's nice to be back to just the one bag.

The minibus picked me up at 6.30 for the trip to Thailand. No dramas at the border. Feelings on entering Thailand were again looking at coming home and what it's going to be like for the first few days. I'm only 6 hours different to home now.

This is my 9th country in my year, excluding England and Hutt River Province.

Why don't half the moped riders wear helmets? Why are there 3 people on most most mopeds? Why do most of the pillions ride side saddle? How can you ride when you have one hand on the bike and one hand on the baby? What's an American doing on the bus and why does he have to talk so loud? I wanna shoot him, god knows what the arabs wants to do to him.

I had a 2 hour wait in Hat Yai. They just drop you on a corner cafe and say the bus will be along later. They obviously run to schedules, but there is no indication of this. The Minibus to Krabi arrived on time, but leaked, you couldn't open the door from the inside, we were crammed in like sardines and even I had to bend over double to get to my seat. Oh and it rained. Boy did it rain and boy did it leak. If anything happened I think they'd have to use a tin opened to get us out.

From Krabi I caught a bus out to Ao Nang where I had cheated and booked a room. I paid $29 us a night for it, which for Thailand is very expensive. However I figure I've done my stint slumming it and whilst it's cheap I may as well make hay while the sun shines. I want my last 3 weeks to be as comfortable as possible. I'm right on the beach which is cool.

I saw my first He/She or She/He, I'm never sure which it is. He/She or She/He was actually my waiter/waiteress or waiteress/waiter and very convincing He/She or She/He was until He/She or She/He spoke. Then you notice He/She or She/He was very flat chested and had the makings of a lunch box. Best 220 Baht I've ever spent, on the meal, in fact its the only bahts I've spent so far.

Got to watch the mighty Spurs again. Conceded a few chances early doors, but have done well when you consider that over the season they have changed a whole team with the exception of Ledley. A squad that had underachievement written all over it had to be changed. With the signing of Carrick I do believe that we now have 3 of Englands best young midfielders and a spine of a team that could go on and win lots of England caps. We also signed a couple of quality experienced short term fixes that have supplemented our young players nicely. Still not counting any chickens.

............. and Fleet got there first point of the season too. 1-1 againt Tooting and Mitcham.

No comments: