Friday, August 20, 2004

Wednesday 18th August 2004 - Day 339/365 - Tanjung Bungah, Penang, Malaysia.

Happy Birthday to ........................ me! Yep 21 (for the 9th time). All I can say is that I hope my 29th year is as good as my 28th. It's sure going to be different, but that's not necessarily bad. I'm quite excited about it.

I had to put on a pair of trousers and a shirt for the first time in a year. Footwear was thongs tho. We went out for a meal with Nagie. Nagie is the character who was locally enlisted, by the British Army for the Malaya crisis, who we met the other day. He lives in Malacca, on the mainland, south of KL, but was so excited about meeting my Dad (poor man) that he came all the way up to Penang.

Anyway he's been staying with his Sister and having pleaded poverty picked us up the other day in an S Class Merc. Suitably impressed he informed up that it belonged to his brother in law, saying he was in business. Well today we went to the business, a fabric stall in the market. What ever happened to 3 wheeled vans.

Nagie is 3rd generation Malaysian and of tamal descent so he took up to an Indian restaurant in Little India. The difference being that's it spicier, tastier and only costs 1gbp a dish, oh and the Malays eat with there fingers.

In the end it was quite embarrassing because Nagie and his friend has brought us all fairwell gifts. Dad got a Sarong. Apparently he used to wear them when he was here and thats where David Beckham gets his styling tips from. Anyway Nagie doesn't really want financial aid, he just wants recognition from the British Army. Fair play.

I convinced the house band to get off Frank Sinatra and Tom Jones tonight. They played G 'n' R "Sweet Child of Mine" for me. It cleared the bar, which was pretty good considering it was empty anyway. I'm just trying to expand there reportoire.

No comments: