Wednesday, August 25, 2004

Thursday 26th August 2004 - Day 347/365 - Bangkok, Thailand to Fleet, Hampshire, England

Happy Birthday Lucas!

I've no ideas of days and when things have happened. I find myself on the evening of the 26th at my computer desk in Fleet with my trip over. The last couple of days have been a bit of a blur.

Currently I'm not going to make too much effort to contact anybody. Just going to take a few days to get my feet under the table and see how the land lies.

I'll take you back to Tuesday night (Thailand time). Having made the decision to return home and changed my flight home to depart from Bangkok on Thursday night, it promised to be the longest 60 hours of my life. My flight on Wednesday morning from Krabi to Bangkok cost as much as it would have done to catch a bus to Phuket. Bizarre. Equally bizarre was the golf course in between the runways.

Faced with a 36 hour wait in Bangkok airport, I plopped for the pleading option and was put on the standby list for that nights flight. The wait was well worthwhile as I scraped onto the Big Plane home and that is how I ended up here. All over in a bit of a flash.

I have no negative thoughts on coming home. It just feels like home. I guess that proves it was the right move.

The first thing I noticed was that people talk proper English.

Where are all the mopeds? and all the traffic for that matter? I expected it everywhere. 6am isn't too early for rush hour.

Coming back into Fleet and the surrounding area, my old world, somehow everything seemed smaller, but normal and right.

At home waiting for me, were my fatter cats, my boomerang, a cooked breakfast with black pudding, a fleet win (come on the bloo's), a wardrobe with more than 7 t shirts in it, radio 5, my trainers, jeans, my watch and a fluffy towel.

Had a visit from my next door neighbour. I thought she'd come round to see me so chatted away at her for ages, but it turned out she didn't want me. Never mind.

Had an invite to go see Briggsy in Kingston. Sorry I had to decline. I'm sure you understand.

Spoke to Big Steve and then a visit in the evening.

Stan came round, which was nice. He kept me awake all day and was good value as ever.

Spoke to Hx too.

Its good to see and talk to you all. Everyone I'll be in contact with shortly. Give me time, I need to sort out my mobile contract. There are no team orders here.

Why is everyone in short sleeves. It's bloody freezing.

Mum cooked Roast Pork tonight. Threw the routine up the swanny. And all that with jet lag too.

BTW the blog goes on in the short term. Resettling back into reality and all. Will explain more in tomorrows posting.

No comments: