Tuesday, July 06, 2004

Tuesday 6th July 2004 - Day 296/366 - Darwin, Northern Territory.

Crikey

Well Australia wrapped up the test match in 3 days so have spent the last 2 days (and nights) in the cafes and bars down Mitchell Street. The hotel they are staying in is right behind the hostel I'm staying. In my drunken state on Saturday night I decided to engage Matty Hayden (the worlds best batsman in conversation). You see I met him during the last Ashes series in England. He's a good friend of Fleets chairman (Martin) who in turn is also into Hampshire County Cricket. From time to time I get invited to some cricket functions and on this occasion met Matty and his wife.

Now I didn't want to be rude and not talk to him, but I was also pretty sure that he wouldn't have a clue who I was. Anyway conversation went something like this:-

Bloo :- "Matty, I'm a friend of Martin Griffiths from Hampshire, we met in Southampton the last time you were over."

Matty :- "Marty! Top bloke. How are the boys doing this, mind you have got Warney (Shane Warne legend!"

Bloo :- "I have no idea, you see I've been travelling for 10 months"

Matty :- "Marty! Top Bloke."

Bloo :- "Are you from Kingaroy? I stayed with an Auntie in Kingaroy. How strange is that?"

Matty :- "It's not strange its a nice area." missing my point.

Bloo :- "So what was going on with the pitch out there"

Matty :- "Shocking! Marty top bloke!"

With that he turned his back and carried on talking to Ricky Ponting, Justin Langer and Adam Gilchrist. Well I tried.

Darwin is a funny place. The population is largly transient and the town is spread far and wide and incorporates many other communities, like Palmerston, Causauringe and Berriwah. Darwin probably isn't the major place.

There are quite a few aborigines about. A few living up to the drunken stereotype and lolling on the floor and begging.

Oh and it's hot. This is the dry season. 30c by day and 20c at night. In the wet season the temps can get up to 50c. Man that's crazy.

The bus service is a bit strange too. There are only 10 routes and they run very infrequently and not all of them go to Darwin. Too be honest there isn't the call for it.

I took one of the infrequent buses to the Crocodylus Park. Such docile looking creatures, until they get a wriggle. Some of the salties are massive. They had one that was 5 metres long and weighed 530kg. They also sell the baby crocs for $700. Bargain.

I caught Big Brother on the box today. Due to a technical cock up from the phone company the wrong person was evicted from the house last night. So Bree has now been reinstated and the proper person will be evicted later in the week. Publicity stunt or what?

No comments: