Wednesday, July 07, 2004

Wednesday 7th July 2004 - Day 297/366 - Darwin, Northern Territory.

Meat Market

Spent last night watching an absolutely awesome batting display by Andrew Flintoff and Andrew Strauss putting on 223 for the 4th wicket against the Windies. As ever with England it was too little too late and they lost the game by 7 wickets. Ah the traumas of an English sports fan.

I then spent the rest of the night in the bar people watching. Mainly an old guy and his young apprentice cracking on to anything in a skirt (and somethings not in skirts). They crashed and burned everytime, but you've got to admire there pluck they kept going, despite the fact that everyone was laughing at them. I was sitting at a table with 3 ladies. The old guy tried to crack on to them. They ignored them. So he said to me.

Old Man :- Are you there bodyguard?

Bloo :- No

Old Man :- Well if youre not there bodyguard why aren't you trying to crack on to them?

Bloo :- Because I'm trying to watch the cricket.

I don't do the meat market. I find it demeaning and degrading and about as comfortable as having my teeth extracted by the doorknob and string method. This guy had no shame, no tact, no nothing and really couldn't take a hint. I guess if you buy enough tickets he'll eventually pull a winner, or at least someone as drunk as he is. He can be a pratt, I'll just be me. Take me as I am.

No comments: