Thursday, July 22, 2004

Tuesday 20th July 2004 - Day 310/366 - Yulara, Northern Territory to Alice Springs, Northern Territory.
 
I'm so glad that last night was my last night camping out in thes temperatures.  As much fun as it's been it's bloody freezing in the morning and for much of the day.  I could happily stay in my cosy swag all day, but no we've got to get up to watch another chuffing sunrise.  Todays sunrise was at Mount Connor (Fooluru). 

This group was even stranger than the last.  The worst was the family of 4 who were Irish, but lived in Nepal.  The Dad was quiet coz the wife was very loud.  The daughter didn't partake in anything, she just sat in the van and revised.  You're on holiday.  You're at Ayres Rock.  Appreciate how lucky you are.  Stuff the exams.  The boy was 14, looked 10, knew everything and couldn't do any of the walks because he was a fat knacker.  I voted for putting him on the fire and feeding us all for a while.  By the end of the trip everyone was in a agreement.  We had 3 Austrians and a Dutchy who couldn't speak english.  There was a very annoying Polish Canadian.  There was a young Brit from Portsmouth who also knew everything.  There was an older Brit from Luton who was nice, but not a drinker and an early to bedder.  An Irish girl who was the same.  I had the 3 Canadians again also the Jap girl too.  Caroline and Jamie were cool, they shared with me drinking round the campfire.  Billy was our guide who was very thorough, but sadly didn't drink.  Good luck with the Phd.

We were back in Alice for lunch and I met Heike and Nicola for a drink.  Heike is such good value for a German.  She has real problems with 'V' and 'W'.  She comes up with the immortal lines that 'I have just come from Darvin.' and 'I have a verk wisa.' and 'They caught a Wirus'.  We were in Bojangles having a drink and they give out free Monkey nuts.  Basically you just put all the used shells on the floor, it's that type of place.  Heike was disgusted at that 'Nein, Stuart you can not do that.'  She is so deliberate in everything she says.  Also I'll have another place to stay when I go to Germany for the 2006 World Cup.

I had a Kangaroo Steak for dinner.  It was lovely.  Looks just like beef, but doesn't have the flavour.

My planned early night, didn't end very early and regrettfully finished with Drambuie.  Looking forward to tomorrows morning flight.

I really can't remember the last day that I didn't have a drink.
 
I've met some great people, seen some fantastic places and had a few laughs along the way.

No comments: