Wednesday, December 03, 2003

Monday 24th November 2003, Day 72/273 - Phoenix, Arizona

Today is detox day, washing day and thinking day. I'm thinking what a huge challenge it is that I've set myself.

I've liked Phoenix. 7 sporting events in 6 days is right up my alley, but there isn't much else to do.

I've also finished my 6th book. I read 'The Autobiography of Malcolm X' by Alex Haley. My trip to the Civil Right's Museum in Memphis ignited a desire to learn more about those involved in and around the civil rights movement during the 50's and 60's. I've never seen the film. I thought this was a great read. It's very detailed as it is Malcolm's own words. He is very frank in his opinions and belief's and his life emphasised the importance of reading and having the ability to express yourself. I feel that is one of my own down falls.

It did make me chuckle when he talks about his time in Harlem and how 125th Street was the heart of it. Especially when I thought of myself walking up that street this September. I wonder what would it have been like for me to do that 45 years ago.