Tuesday, December 02, 2003

Thursday 20th November 2003, Day 68/273 - Phoenix, Arizona

I heard a rumour that an English pub might be showing the rugby on saturday morning. The 'George and Dragon' isn't in downtown Phoenix as downtown Phoenix is a business district and therefore has nothing except a few bars that open for lunch. There's no nightlife or shops as no one lives here.

After a 2 mile walk, I got to the 'George and Dragon', a dingy little hole (as most english pubs are). Alas they are only Americans pretending to be English and will not be showing the game as it is pay per view. They'll show a college football game instead, just for us Brits. It's not every year that England get to the World Cup Final (obviously) so you would have thought an English bar would show the event.

I went to IHOP to drown my sorrows in pancakes. It was busy so I put my name on the list for a table. The waitress shouting 'Stuart, table for 1' didn't do much to enhance my mood, but I forgave her as the pancakes were good. It's a good job I'm passed embarrassment. However, it does annoy me that no one can pronounce my name. It's Stu-art not Stuwwweeert.

I called in at the visitor centre on the way back into town in the hope that they might know of such a place that would dare to show the Rugby World Cup Final on a college football day. Bless her, she spent about 2 hours on the phone calling around bars in the Phoenix area. Lots of people had suggestions (normally the George and Dragon) but drew blanks, until she called an Irish bar in Chandler. They thought they might be showing the game, but weren't entirely sure. That was good enough for me. A little chink of light. It was going be tough to get out there, but I was determined that I would make the effort.

As for tonight it's basketball night again. I went for my now normal pre match drink in Fridays. Tonight the Suns are playing the Orlando Magic. The Suns have won 4 and lost 6. The Magic are 1-10 and have just replaced their coach after a 10 game losing streak.

So here I am sat in the America West Arena watching a basketball game, where just 24 hours ago it was an ice rink. It's a well oiled machine. They've got everything in order. Everything is geared towards the fans and making it a pleasant experience. It's such a nice change from the old English Stadia (most have improved now). There are plenty of toilets. You don't have to walk far to find a club shop or concessions stand, mind the concessions are very expensive. There is entertainment laid on pre game and during the numerous game breaks.  The entertainment ranges from T shirt giveaways, flag wavers, mascots and my personal favourite the dunk team.

At half time they had a ballet display which is coming to town in December. That was kind of strange.

The arena holds about 17,00 and is probably just over half full.

I still haven't worked out how they devise each teams schedule. The Suns and the Magic aren't even in the same conference let alone the same division.

I'm not sure I see the point of the game either and I trained as a basketball coach at college. Basically one 7ft guy gets a ball, he bounces it down a court, jumps and puts it in a basket. Then another 7ft guy does the same thing. Occasionally they miss and sometimes it's a 6.5ft guy.

It's a non contact sport which is frustrating as there are a lot of game breaks for penalties and time outs.

Although only 5 players can be on the court at any one time they both have squads of 12 and the team changes regularly as no man is capable of playing for 48 minutes.

Final score Suns 96 - Magic 89 and I enjoyed the experience.