Tuesday, December 02, 2003

Saturday 22nd November 2003, Day 70/273 - Phoenix, Arizona

Started my expedition early to get to Chandler to (hopefully) watch the Rugby World Cup Final. 4 buses to watch egg chasing, I must be mad. I just hope that no one gave the game away to me about what the score was. I knew I could find out the result, after all it happened at 2.00am our time, but I chose to keep myself in the dark. There's no chance of an American telling me. They don't even know what egg chasing is.

There was this woman on the bus moaning like Billy O about how slow he was driving and why was he waiting at all the stops and how she was gonna be late for wherever she had to be. Obviously she doesn't realize that even here the buses run to a schedule (or schedule as we American's like to say). Here's an idea love. If you want to get somewhere earlier, then get your fat arse out of bed earlier and get an earlier bus. Or do what every American does and buy an excessively large vehicle to drive around.

Anyway 3 hours after leaving the hostel and 3 bus trips later I arrived at Fibber Magee's in Chandler. I had no idea what I was letting myself in for, but luckily Chandler was a nice little place and not a ghetto. Fibber Magee's is also nice. The chicken tenders are to die for and they serve Carlsberg. I might never leave.

It turns out that the owner has recorded the game at home and planned to show it tomorrow afternoon in the bar. As I was here now, he promised to bring it down for me to watch on my own. He was in the middle of watching it at home.

The bar lady kept apologising about how long he was taking, but I didn't care, I had beer. In fact I went a bit OTT on it so it could make for an interesting ride home, but that wasn't my concern at the time.

The owner turned up, put the tape in the machine and just said 'It's a classic'. He wasn't wrong. I watched it on my own in a bar full of Americans, with no sound, just Irish music. The Yanks were watching a college game and gave me funny looks whenever I went mad. I didn't care. It had to be Johnny.



Me watching the final


I thanked them all very much and left. All I could think was that it was 15.00, I was drunk and I had to catch 4 buses to get back to Phoenix to watch the basketball tonight. Now the biggest problem I have when drunk, is not forgetfulness or not being able to walk in a straight line (although it does hinder me slightly), but it's bladder control. I had to jump of the bus a few times to find an appropiate bush or supermarket, but I did manage to get on all my buses and everyone was staring at me like the drunk happy skunk I was, but i didn't care.

I also remember seeing a stunning sunset where half the sky was a deep red and the other half a dark bloo, with the faint silouette of the moutains. The reason I remember this (because I don't actually remember it), is that even in this state of drunkeness I did have the sense to make notes on my mobile. Some of the words are wrong, but I do get the general drift of what I meant. The rest I just made up, but I did write that I'd love to been in the middle of the desert to see the sunset. I also said I'd like to have been sober. What was I thinking.

The game tonight, is between the Suns (5-6) and the Miami Heat (3-9). I was beginning to get a headache at the game started and things were obviously still fuzzy because I wrote that Amare Stoudemaire should get rookie of the year. That would be quite an achievement considering he is no longer a rookie. I'm laughing while I'm writing this and reading my drunken notes.

The Suns won 100-98 which is doubly good because it means we get free tacos at Jack in the Box everytime the Suns score more than 99 points.

I had a great day for 3 reasons.

1 I'd had a drink.
2 England won the World Cup.
3 At last one of my expeditions didn't fail.