Friday, December 12, 2003

Tuesday 9th December 2003. Day 87/273 - Los Angeles, California.

Took the free hostel shuttle down to Venice Beach. It took way longer than I thought it would, about 45 minutes. I finally got my first view of the Pacific Ocean and it was pretty stunning.



Venice Beach



Venice Beach


The beach is exactly like it is on the TV. There are the open air Basketball courts from 'White Men Can't Jump', the 'Baywatch' beach lookouts, the exercise nuts flying down the strip on rollerblades, skate boards, bikes or just their feet. The beachfront is lined with shop selling all sorts of wares.



Basketball Courts


I took a walk up Venice Beach will all the other beautiful people, passing Muscle Beach and up to Santa Monica pier. I'd take this place any day over Miami. It's far nicer.



Muscle Beach



Muscle Beach


As you move away from the beach you pass the nice looking shopping district, but the best thing about Santa Monica is that it has a pub called the 'Britania'. Yeah lets hear it for the Brit. So I had a beer and then took the public bus back to Hollywood. That took chuffing ages too.



The Brit


Good news though. I've booked tickets to go and see the Harlem Globetrotters in Portland, Oregon on the 24th January 2004. That's another ambition to cross of the list.



Baywatch



Santa Monica Pier



Baywatch