Saturday, December 06, 2003

Wednesday 3rd December 2003, Day 81/273 - San Diego, California

Oops signed off a bit early last night. I thought I was tired, but then decided I was hungry instead, so i went to the TGI Friday's opposite the hostel. Not a particularly significant event in my life, but I did have a decent steak and my first drink since the white russian incident.

Not satisfied with just food and drink I went to the cinema to watch Gothika for $9.25. It's the new Halle Berry pyschological thriller that also stars Robert Downey Jr and Penelope Cruz. I thought it was excellent. I imagine its a bit like silence of the lambs. There were a couple of moments in the film that made the whole audience jump. I nearly wet myself and I'm glad I'm in a dorm tonight and not in a room on my own.

First thing today was to enjoy the free waffles that the hostel provides. You can eat as many as you can be bothered to cook. I say enjoyed them I only enjoyed the fact that they were free, not a big waffle fan.

Today I'm off to Sea World.  I bought an all day bus ticket for $5 and then caught the blue line trolley out to the Old Town. From there I caught the #9 bus that takes you all the way to Sea World. The lady at the ticket desk relieves you of $44.95 for the privilege of entering the establishment.

This is the original Sea World. There are 2 main rides. Firstly 'Wild Artic' simulates a helicopter ride out to the Artic and then when you get off you get to view the Biluga Whales, Walrus's and Polar Bears. The simulator is really good. The second ride is 'Shipwreck Rapids' which is probably the fastest and wettest rubber ring ride I've been on.

There are other sights to see, like the 'Manatee Rescue', 'Shark Encounter' (with the tunnel under the great whites), 'Sea Lion and Seals' (or floating turds (private joke)), 'Reef' (where you can feed the rays and see the 'Moray Eel Caverns'), 'Penguin Encounter', many aquariums and tides and finally the 'Rocky Point Reserve' where you get to interact with dolphins. I got to stroke a dolphin.  It felt like a wet tyre and nothing like I expected. The dolphin soon realised that I was tight and hadn't brought him a tray of fish ($4) like everyone else, so buggered off. It was still special.

There are also a number of good shows to watch. Like 'Dolphin Discovery' (amazing creatures), 'Fools with Tools' (very funny Sealion and Otter show), 'Pets Rule', 'The Haunted Lighthouse 4D' and of course 'Shamu's Adventure', what everyone comes to Sea World for. It's incredible.

You can also take a 'Skytower Ride' (265 foot) or the 'Bayside Sky Ride' (gondola across 'Mission Bay') but they cost $5.

It was a beautiful day and it seemed strange slapping on the sun cream in December. I had a great day with Shamu and his friends.












In the evening I finished book 7 ('The Brethren' by John Grisham) and bought my new phone.