Saturday, December 06, 2003

Thursday 4th December 2003, Day 82/273 - San Diego, California

Walked up to Balboa Park today. It's the home of San Diego's museums and the zoo. It's a bit of a walk. Americans would have driven it, but that's because they're fat and lazy and if there not fat then they're just lazy. In fact thinking about it I would have driven if I had a car!

The zoo charges $19.50 for admission and is reportedly the best zoo in the world. It's actually really nice and a pleasant environment for the animals, although I'm sure they'd prefer to be roaming free in whichever country they come from.

Most of the animals were sleeping. I'll cut them a break as I suppose they aren't just here for my photographic pleasure. The zoo's walkways are quite steep in places and thankfully not ideal for pushchairs and wheel chairs. I don't think I've seen such a wide variety of animals or species of animals in one place.

The highlights for me were the orangutans (or anything else that reminded me of my Dad (private joke)). The black panther (that reminded me of my cats, Bloo and Red). Tthe 2 African spurred tortoises getting it on ("Look daddy those 2 turtles are doing push ups" one child was heard to say) The ghiral (a sort of long nosed crocodile). Watching 2 polar bears swimming and playing was pretty special, as was seeing the panda's.



















Yep it's fair to say I had a nice time at the zoo. On the way back I went to my first ever used book shop to do a book swap.

Back at the hostel I met up with Mx who has just arrived in town. We went to TGI Friday's for dinner and exchanged tales. Mine of Vegas and dodgy phone calls. Her's of the Dude Ranch and being a 'Badly Drawn Boy' groupie.

Afterwards we went to watch 'Love Actually'. I was a bit unsure about watching it as I thought it would be a chick flick. In fact it was very funny. It was made funnier by watching it in an American cinema with an American audience. They really didn't get half the humour. The story was a bit rubbish, but the message good.