Sunday, May 23, 2004

Thursday 20th May 2004, Day 250/366 - Charlestown, New South Wales.

Beaches and Karaoke

Lachlan - (out of the Blue) "What's a Microscope?"
Bloo - "Is that the sort of question that an ordinary 3 year old asks?"

Vincent took me on a tour of the beaches around Newcastle. We stopped at Redhead, Dudley and had a stroll around the nature reserve at Glenbrook. All the beaches were long, very sandy and very empty. It seemed like the ideal day to go to the beach to me, but apparently in Autralia it's too cold.

We went to the Blackbutt reserve which contains all the normal Australia animals, the kangaroos, emus, colourful birds and I got my first view of a wombat.

Newcastle is a small industrial city. Not really a tourist destination, but it does have some wonderful beaches.

I bought the new Morrisey Album. I wouldn't normally make the effort, but for Morrisey I will.

The family wanted to show me some classic Australian movies. I wasn't overly enthused by the prospect, but I was relatively impressed with 'The Castle'. It's dated, but still pretty funny. The only problem is that Australia only has about 20 actors. They appear in everything.

Joshua (12), Jacinta's (Vincent's sister) eldest is off on scout camp at the weekend so he was kitted out with Vincents backpack. Impressed with his ability to carry said backpack he proceeded to run round the house with backpack on, not realising that the hump was bigger than expected and everytime he turned round something else hit the floor.

We went in Hamilton for a few drinks in the evening. Ended up in a bar with Karaoke on. I was impressed with the standard to begin with and a little worried, but it's all okay becase it soon decended into the drunken English standards.

No comments: