Monday, May 10, 2004

Friday 7th May 2004, Day 237/366 - Melbourne, Australia.

The Good old Days

We all lay in for far too long today. I think it's too many late nights sat around the table, drinking beer, eating pizza and old football days when Aldershot went bust, Macca was manager and I was a wee whipper snapper on the terraces of the East Bank.

I look back on those days with rose tinted glasses. It was obviously very difficult to see my team go through there death throes but I felt part of something special. When they reformed in 1992 it never felt the same to me. After all we were winning games and the crowds had quadrupled. Hardly anyone wanted to know the old club and suddenly everyone was on the band wagon.

I still follow the results and ironically this could be the season when they get back into the football league as they play Shrewsbury on the Playoff final on the 16th May. Can someone record it for me? Sky Sports One.

I divulge. I went into the city today and booked my onward travel and accomodation for Canberra and Sydney. In the US you could just show up and get on. Here you have to book your seat.

In the afternoon we headed over to Werribee open Range Zoo ($18). I love Meerkats. We had a truck ride around the park and saw Pelicans, Wallabies, Emus, Hippos, kangaroos and all the usual african animals. They've done a nice job here. Not a lot of species, but they're working hard. It's probably one of the nicest looking zoos that I've been to.

I already find myself talking about things that I've done.

"When I was in Hawaii......."

i've got to be careful, not to always talk about me. People will get very bored very quickly.

We stayed in to watch the Friday night footy. It's a local derby between the Western Bulldogs and the Essenson Bombers. Macca is trying to understand it as he is here for 4 years. Plus we had a bet riding on it. The commentary is funny. They slate the players when they don't get up from a hit. Calling them pussy's and all sorts. The bet went pete tong. We had great odds ($8.70) for Essendon to win by 13-24 points. They won by 26 and the final 6 pointer was scored with 7 seconds on the clock.

No comments: