Monday, May 03, 2004

Monday 3rd May 2004, Day 233/366 - Melbourne, Australia.

Neighbours

Had stir fry in the hostel cafe last night. It was bloody lovely apart from the 2 gay guys sat next to me flirting.

I decided to be a social whirl and not go to bed early. So I stayed up and watched Red Dragon in the Dayroom. I only saw the second 2 films in the trilogy the other day and was looking forward to it. Unfortunately the DVD was cracked and kept jumping. They put 'The Ring' on instead which was absolute sphericals.

This morning I'm booked on the Ramsey Street tour. Yep the 'Neighbours' Street. It cost $25 and they picked me up from the hostel. I was worried that i'd be the only person on the tour, but I was wrong. There was 19 of us. All English, all young and mainly girls.

Now it's fair to say that I am a little bit behind on the Neighbours stakes. I stopped watching it in 1991 when I left school. I'm happy to report that Neighbours acheived cult status at DYRMS. I vividly remember everyone running back from the last class to catch the 17.35 daily episode. The dayroom was packed and everyone was gutted if you were first mess as it meant you missed the last few minutes. Fortunately I was in Wellington so I didn't miss as much as someone in Marlborough.

I hope that Joe Mangle, Bouncer, Melanie, Paul Robinson, The twins (with the weird mouths), Bronwyn, Helen Daniels, Daphne, Des, Lou Carpenter, Fat Harold, Madge, Henry, Charlene and Scott are all still in it.

It was such a funny trip. Total cheese. Fantastic. We drove out to Ramsey Street in Erinsborough (not really) and went through all the individual houses and the unlikely storylines that have gone on around them. Erinsborough is actually an anagram of Neighbours. I learnt that and many other useless facts. It turned out that the coolest looking bloke was the biggest Neighbours Stato known to man.

On the bus out to the suburb we watched Neighbours new musical DVD including such classics as Holly Vallance, Kylie doing the Locomotion, Jason doing too many broken hearts, Craig McLachlan doing Mona and the truly atrocious Stefan Dennis (Slimes) and the twins. I was worried that the songs didn't appear old to me.

I had a flashback, at school I had a Kylie calender. I remember it. It was right next to my Spurs one.

We all decided that Bouncer was the best actor to come out of Neighbours.

Ramsey Street is a real street, with real houes, with real people living in them. It much smaller than it appears on TV.

I totally forgot that Natilie Imbruglia and Guy Pearce were in it.

We did a drive past of the Studio. Not alot access to that. Thats were all the sets are. It's also where Prisoner Cell Block H was filmed. Another Cult show.

We also drove passed Erinsborough High.

On the way back we got to choose which episode we would like to watch from the Defining Moments DVD. Of course everyone choose Scott and Charlenes wedding. All those Mullets and Angry Anderson doing Suddenly. Ah Memories.

Apparently Vegetarianism is an eating disorder. Such an Aussie opinion.

In other news I bought a bus pass to Cairns from Melbourne. Cost $370 and I have 90 days to get there.