Sunday, May 02, 2004

Sunday 2nd May 2004, Day 232/366 - Melbourne, Australia.

The YHA on Queensberry Hill is a YHA flagship hostel. It is bloody lovely. It has good facilities, including a cafe. So it was Poached Eggs on Toast and Bacon for breakfast. Luvly!

Why do Americans talk so loud? Now I know I've been down this path before, a few times in fact, but if you can't tell them by there Star Spangled Banner Sweater or College Hoodie then you can't miss there accents. Today's candiates are the old geezers from New York. They were like something out of 'Dirty Rotten Scoundrels' and offered such as "I liked Reagan as an actor, but not as president." at 40 decibels. Really, very incitful.

Walked down through the Queen Victoria Market, which was very nice and ended up down by the Yarra River. I love how quickly you can go from City Block to this.

It wasn't the reason why I came down here though. I came to look at the Rod Laver Arena - where the Open Tennis is held, the Vodafone Arena - where I'm not sure what goes on, but mainly to see the Olympic Park - where the Melbourne Storm (league) play. I expected there to be some tribute to the 1956 Olympic games being held here, but there was nothing. It was very underwhelming. At least there hadn't turned the stadium into a baseball park. It was still being used by athletes to train in.

I found a lovely secluded spot in the park to read my book. It was by a pond, with a bridge and surrounded by bushed. An excellent windbreak. All was peaceful until another chuffing wedding party turned up. What is the fascination with getting married? Why are they all oriental?

Melbourne has loads of bookshops. I spent my day browsing through them. I do worry about myself you know.