Tuesday, May 11, 2004

Monday 10th May 2004, Day 240/366 - Canberra, Australia.

Concrete Jungles

Happy Birthday Sam and Macca!

After 10 hours on the bus I arrived in Canberra at 7.00 am. Bloody Knackered, but I've only got a day here so need to explore. The Hostel picked me up from the Greyhound station and I caught the bus back into the city. It's a concrete jungle.

I bought an Aussie prepaid phone. Cost $79 and includes $50 worth of calls. Should save me some money on my UK mobile. Number is 0061409691040 if anyone wants to call or text. God I sound desparate.

I didn't expect a lot of Canberra so in that respect it didn't disappoint. It's probably slightly duller than I expected. I've got 31 hours here and that's probably 25 hours too many. It's not nice, but it's not horrible, it was just nothing.

Canberra is Australia's Capital. Basically they picked a site in between Sydney and Melbourne and made a new city. It's very functional. At this time of year the grass is brown and the leaves are turning colour and the Commonwealth Park is very nice. The city as a whole is very sectioned and spread out. The words dead and dated spring to mind.

Nothing really took my fancy as places to visit. It's bloody cold too. You should probably spend you $30 and take a tour bus around the sights.

When I was heading back to the hostel on the bus, I was chatting the lady next to me. I said that I'd had a long journey and was going back to the hostel for a snooze, it was about 14.00. She said "Yeah, you do look tired." Thats the sort of thing that I would say.

No comments: