Saturday, May 01, 2004

Saturday 1st May 2004, Day 231/366 - Christchurch, New Zealand to Melbourne, Australia.

I'm so proud of myself. Last night I actually said "Please can I have an Export Gold" instead of "Can I get ....."

As you can tell I failed in the early night stakes. I was actually in bed fairly early, but didn't sleep. However, as my Mum always used to say "As long as you are resting." So I went to sleep late and woke up early (2am) for my 3.45am shuttle.

I've had a great 2 months in New Zealand. Emotionally very draining, but a terrific learning experience. I leave knowing and understanding more than I did and over the last 2 days my mind is now less scrambled.

Ever since I was a kid I've always wanted to go to Oz. It fascinated me. Mainly the Koalas and Kangaroos and the fact that it was on the other side of the earth. I used to want to be a pilot for QANTAS so that I could go to Oz everyday. I guess that proves how young I was. I then learnt that you need qualifications, which I never too and that you had to be acertain height. I'm not sure when/why I decided to become an accountant instead.

My new CD player, that I bought the other day for $40, is buggered. Hardly surprising really. It keeps stopping. Bloody thing.

I'm sad to be leaving New Zealand, I leave a piece of me here. I'm happy to be able to put things behind me. I'm excited about Oz. I have no preconceived ideas, no plans, no one to meet. I'm winging it and it feels good.

We picked up 2 Japs at the Airport hotel who were catching the Shuttle to the airport. Ever heard of walking?

I was allocated seat 8a. Which is very spooky, but it amused me.

What is it with bloody departure taxes. $25 it costs you to leave New Zealand.

I spoke to my Mum from the Departure Lounge. They went to see James Last last night. "How was it" I said. "Oh he's a bit modern for us now." Who'd have guessed it.

I figured that maybe I should open my Oz Lonely planet on the plane. The movie was 'Under a Tuscan Sun' so I figured that I had 4 hours to kill.

My first view of Oz was flat, featureless, brown, vast and the city looked built up.

Melbourne looked eerie and foreboding. I wish my camera could have taken a good shot of it. The city was a hazy silouette set on the sea.

On the ground everywhere feels a lot more used and a lot less pure than NZ.

I do love arriving at an international airport, claiming my baggage, clearing customs and exiting into Arrivals to the sea of expectant faces who are disappointed that it's only me. One day my ship will come in. (LOL) I love the fact that there is no one waiting for me.

On the drive in Melbourne looks quite industrial. There seems to be lots of construction going on. There are plenty of spanking Sky Scrapers and Condo's going up on the waterfront. Mind it is Oz's 2nd biggest city. Pop 3m

I caught the Skybus ($13) into the city centre and walked up to the hostel and it's only 10am. Feel like I've been up for hours, which of course I have. I've got to do something with my day. What better than to walk to the Melbourne Cricket Ground (MCG) for some Aussie Rules Football.

Despite my initial fears I actually quite like Melbourne. It has a certain lived in feel to it and a touch of character. Flinders Street Station and the trams help.

I first saw Aussie rules on Transworld Sport at DYRMS and I've always wanted to go to the MCG. It's a shame I missed the cricket season. I love TWS. That is how I got to recognise all the Melbourne suburbs Collingwood, Essendon, St. Kilda all have Aussie Rules teams. The MCG holds about 90000 and is currently going through a large redevelopment. It don't look pretty from the outside. On the inside it's a massive bowl.

I can't remember the rules, but I do recall it being pretty brutal. The place is buzzing and there still 3 hours before kick off. The Essendon Bombers are playing the Sydney Swans. It cost $17.70 for general admission.

I had smelly breathe and dribbling nose man sat next to me. Very pleasant. Behind me I had annoying Kid who didn't know who was in the FA Cup final, despite him wearing a Manc Top. He knew all the words to all the adverts and persisted in singing along. Each team has a corny anthem (like the FA Cup song) and that's what they run on the pitch too. The kid knew all the words for both teams. At one point he asked his Dad 'Did Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin have a punch up to see who would be first to step on the moon.' Bless. The fans in general turn up to watch the game and not for the gimmicks.

Basic rules are 6 points for a goal, between the 2 big posts and 1 for a side, between the smaller posts. The game is a mix between Egg Chasing, Football and wrestling. There say there are no rules. The game appeared quite stop start initially as the play stops at every 'Mark', but really it's a fast game. It's all about getting your men free. Sydney kept the game very short and had a lot of runners whereas Essendon played a lot longer. The fans love it, especially the high tackles and getting at the Umpires. I learnt that Aussies really do use 'Mongrel' and it wasn't just made up by TV.

It's a simple game with not alot of strategy, enjoyable none the less. It got very exciting at the end with Sydney coming back into the game. There were plenty of Swans fans in the stands and it got quite feisty. Not badly, just banter. Attendance 38,946. The Bombers won 16-12-108 to 15-8-98. Make sense?

I did think about going to the evening game at the Telstra dome as it's a clash of the 2 top teams, but I really need feeding and sleep.

So much for Oz being warmer. I freezing the preverbials off.

Walking through a park there was a wedding party. Seeing that we'd been to the game the groom pipes up. "and the winner is?" "Well not you, Mate." I can be so cutting.

Most surprising find of the day was that Burger King is Burger King, it's Hungry Jacks.

Well my first day completed in Australia and not one dangerous creature encountered.