Sunday, May 16, 2004

Saturday 15th May 2004, Day 245/366 - Sydney, Australia.

On a mission

Wallked down to Circular Quay to catch the ferry to Manly. $5.80. Works out as a cheap harbour cruise. On the ferry we had our very own devil woman. She sounded just like Gollum. Manly's a nice little place.

Caught the bus up to Palm Beach. It's the setting for Summer bay in Home and Away. Not a fan of the show, but felt I had to come and pay homage. Plus it's a bloody nice place. It's situated 40 kms north of sydney so I guess this is a select area to live.

Apparently the Surf shack and Diner are up here, but I can't find them and I'll be buggered if I'm going to ask anyone for directions. So I caught the bus back into Sydney. I feel like I've been on public transport all day and I'm not done yet.

I caught a train out to Cronulla. $5.80 and about 45 minutes. What's he going there for I hear you ask. You've probably guessed it's sport related. This time it's egg chasing league stylee. I actually prefer league to Union. It's a bit more primitive and less technical.

League is the game of choice around Sydney. Most of the teams in the NRL are Sydney based. I've always enjoyed watching league on Grandstand in the good old days. I even went to watch the London Broncos plays a few years back in the World Club Challenge. With the advent of the Super League and the subsequent change to a summer game, it provides my weekend sports viewing in the closed football season.

The game itself went according to script with the top of the table Sydney Roosters beating the cronulla Sharks. 38-18.

Getting a bit tired of all the bloody whinging Aussies. 'It's so cold.' They don't know the meaning of the word. This is tropical. There all sat round in Hats and scarves and big jackets, where I'm in a T shirt and fleece. If they think this is cold, they should come and watch some football in January in the UK.

What is it with Mobile phone ring tones nowadays. It's embarrasing. That's why my phone is always on mute. All I want is Bring Bring, not some crap techno tune.

Finished another book. Tom Sharpe - Blott on the Landscape. Very clever, very easy to read and funny to boot.

No comments: