Thursday, June 17, 2004

Wednesday 16th June 2004 - Day 277/366 - Eurong Resort, Fraser Island, Queensland to Hervey Bay, Queensland.

Awesome State of Origin

Got up at 6.00 to watch a perfect sunrise from the beach. It's always my favorite time of day although I don't often see it.

It's amazing to think that all the terrain, all the vegetation, in fact everything on the island is all built on sand.

After breakfast we drove up the beach and stopped at the coffee rocks. We got up close and personal with a dingo and saw a load of whales enjoying themselves just off the shore. I could sit and watch them all day.

We stopped at the pinnacles where there are more coloured sands, this time in interesting shapes and as ever the aborigines have another legend about it.

We visited another shipwreck. This time the Maheno, which ran aground in 1935 and has been left to the elements. The elements have done a pretty good job of burying. There are now 4 decks below the sands.

We then stopped off at Eli Creek. Up until a few months ago you used to be able to float down the creek, but a recent storm blew out the sand bank and released all the water.

You get the chance of a 20 minute scenic flight over the island for $60. I wish I'd taken up the option. The 70 miles of beach is officially the worlds longest runway so as a pedestrian you've got to look left, right and up when crossing the beach.

We had another good lunch and then it was back to Lake McKenzie before leaving the Island via the feral ferry to Hervey Bay. The skipper was quite amusing.

"As the tide has come the crossing will be quicker than normal as we can take a short cut and it's time for us to knock off. However if I miss the landing dock it could be a bit longer. It's normally pretty amusing when I miss the dock."

In conversations I suddenly realize that I am a veteran traveller. For so long I felt like a novice but no longer.

It's a lovely YHA in Hervey Bay. Shame there's nothing to do nearby, but at least its showing the 2nd State of Origin game. There's a guy in my room from Iserlohn. I have fond memories of Iserlohn (and the pils) and am looking forward to going back sometime. Shame he didn't take my hints and invite me.

The State of Origin is still the most intense and exciting Rugby that I've watched. I can't take my eyes off these games. Queensland won the game and have levelled the series. So it's back to Sydney for the finale.

No comments: