Thursday, June 10, 2004

Wednesday 9th June 2004 - Day 270/366 - Kingaroy, Queensland.

Big Trucks

Watched 'Bowling for Columbine'. Never seen it before and had been looking forward to it. 2 words. Interesting and worrying, but where's the conclusion.

Jim (Carols friend) cae and picked me up and took me to look around the coal mine where he works. The coal mine is the 3rd largest in Queensland and services the neighbouring Tarong Power Station which supplies 42% of Queensland's power. The mine is vast, interesting and full of holes and big machines. I got a ride on a 200 tonne truck, with a woman driver. Once the coal has been mined the hole is refilled and ground is recontoured and replanted.

Okay so I also learnt that if something is a bit sketchy or Dodgey, in the US you'd say it was 'Way Ghetto' and in Oz you'd say it was 'Ferral'. I like the Oz way

No comments: