Tuesday, June 29, 2004

Sunday 27th June 2004 - Day 287/366 - Cairns, Queensland.

Wibble

At least I can now be out in the sun without squinting. I just hope I haven't done irrepairable damage to my forehead with the formation of too many wrinkles. I've always felt really awkward about wearing sunglasses and not just because they feel weird to a non glass wearer, but because one of my ears sticks out more than the other. My left ear sticks out a bit and my right ear sticks out a lot. To add to that my right ear is higher than my left. I only noticed it when I first wore sunglasses. It may also be part of the reason why I didn't like eye contact. My Mum blames the doctor who delivered me. I think he used his forceps a bit to violently on my right ear. I did think about having them pinned, but the stupid thing is I look even worse with my ears not sticking out, plus I haven't got the money, anymore. I tried cellotape and blu tak and everything when I was at school. I have no idea where all that came from, I wibbling.

In the afternoon MIlky and I took an ATV ride with Blazing Saddles for $109. I think Milky quite enjoyed it despite the fact that she drives one on the farm everyday. It was good for her to thrash someone elses vehicle. For me it was fun to throw a quad bike up and down an Australian hill for a few hours. I expected to get really muddy. Instead it was like a dust bowl. We came back covered in a brown film. It was like we'd spent the day in London. You know all the grime you get up your nose and in the corner of your eyes.

Cairns doesn't have a beach to speak of. In fact it's more like a Mangrove swamp. It does have a saltwater lagoon that everyone congregates at. Cairns is a tourist town completely set up to take the tourist dollar. They do it in a nice way and very successfully. The main attraction here would be the Barrier Reef, for me I'd prefer to see it from somewhere less commercial, like Airlie Beach.

Noone seems to live in Cairns, but it spreads far and wide. For this time of year the climate is lovely. I wouldn't want it much hotter than 27c.


The YHA Central is lovely. There are loads of hostels here and they all seem nice.

No comments: