Sunday, June 20, 2004

Monday 21st June 2004 - Day 281/366 - Airlie Beach, Queensland.

David Hasselhoff

They decided to cancel my Sea Kayaking tour out to the Whitsunday Islands, due to high winds. My substitute plan is equally good. I'm off to the Barrier Reef fo $69. It did mean a 7.15 pick up. As we boarded the signs looked ominous as they were handing out the sea sickness pills saying how rough it was going to be. I think alot of this is mental.

It takes about 2.5 hours to get out to Reefworld and about an hour of that is through rough water when you aren't sheltered by the islands or the reef. It's certainly a good ride, but not as bad as I experienced in Fiji when I landed in the cyclone.

Reefworld is a pontoon set on the edge of hardy Reef. From there you can go on a snorkeling tour, scuba dive or take a joy flight all at extra cost. I did all the free stuff like snorkelling on your own or viewing the reef from the underwater room or the semi submersible. M & D you'll be pleased to know that I didn't SCUBA, I even found the snorkeling a bit freaky at first.

The colour of the coral was amazing although I have to say I saw better fish in Hawaii and also turtles there too. It's not as bright as the pictures make it. They use special cameras, but it is worth going. You obviously only get to see a very small portion of the 2300 km Great barrier reef.

The boat back was probably rougher, but fair play to the crew they were knowledgable, informative and funny even in the face of chunks flying everywhere (not mine). As soon as we got into the calmer waters the crew started handing out the chocolate sponge. The green faces turned greener and missed a real treat.

Couple of germans in my dorm. The one from Iserlohn again and some matey from Hamburg. I don't think they're real Germans as they claim not to own any David Hasselhoff albums.

Early to bed means early to rise and watch the England game.

No comments: