Sunday, June 20, 2004

Saturday 19th June 2004 - Day 279/366 - Mackay, Queensland.

Platypus

I've had 8 different beds in 8 days. That's crazy.

I booked myself on Jungle Jono's Platypus Safari to the Eungella National Park for $68 with our tour guide................ Henrik. No I don't get it either.

Around Mackay is a big sugar cane growing region. Every field is chok a blok with sugar cane. Our first stop was the Finch Hatton Gorge for breakfast and a walk up to the Wheels of Fire Falls for a dip in the icy depths. We then had lunch with a stunning view across the valley and then headed to Broken River to spot the Platypus. They're funky little creatures that love dirty water and are really hard to spot. They are mammals that lay eggs. Like Echidnas they are monotremes. There's nothing else on earth like them. They've been about since the dinosaurs. Before I came to Australia I actually thought they were extinct so I was very excited to see one.

Watched the egg chasing in the evening. It was a much gutsier (if thats a word) performance. It's a shame Shaw got sent off as I'm sure it would have been a far closer game.

No comments: