Wednesday, June 09, 2004

Thursday 3rd June 2004 - Day 264/366 - Brisbane, Queensland.

Super Size Me

Finished reading Stupid White Men by Michael Moore. This should be made compulsory reading for all Americans. I know I'm going to send a copy to all the septics that I know. Everyone told me that this book was funny, which it is, but it's also very concerning.

I watched 'Super Size Me' in one of those independent Cinemas. No something that I'd normally do, but hey it's been a year of firsts. It's probably the busiest cinema showing that I'd been to, but I'd never heard of the film. I just liked the picture as I was walking by. Mind it was mainly students. The film was dubbed as 'The Bowling for Columbine of Fast food' and 'A film of epic portions'.

So basically the idea of the film is that the guy eats McDonalds for 30 days to see what happens. He employs a Nutrionist, a cardiologist, a gastro doctor, a GP and a Fitness trainer to record the results. The rules are he has to eat 3 square meals a day, but only things off the McDonalds menu, including water. He has to eat everything on the menu at least once in the 30 days and he has to Super Size it if asked, even when he had a McStomach Ache.

So in the UK our normal portion in kids in the US. Medium is Small, Large is Medium and so on. We have nothing that compares to the Supersize US portions. The US supersize includes a half gallon of soda, that contains 600 calories just in the drink.

Everyone predicted what the results would be, but in reality they turned out to be more serious than predicted. The film is funny, but very serious. I'm so glad my McDonalds diet is over, I feel so much better, no really.

No comments: