Thursday, June 17, 2004

Thursday 17th June 2004 - Day 277/366 - Hervey Bay, Queensland to Mackay, Queensland.

Overnighter, Bluergh!

I've got an overnight bus trip to Mackay tonight, so had a day to waste in Hervey Bay. Wanted to do something productive, but the sea kayaking weren't answering the phones and the Camel Safari wouldn't pick up just one person.

I had a walk around the town. Hervey Bay is a really popular spot for whale watching. In about a month the whales, having given birth in the warmer waters, come into the bay to play before heading back to Antartica. The bay is also the major departure point for Fraser Island. That is pretty much the bay. Very pretty, but there's not really a heart to it.

I promised myself not to do anymore overnight bus journeys. They're debilitating and I've done my stint I feel. What can you dowith a 12 hour trip when there's nothing much in between. I thought about stopping in Rockhampton for the Aborigine culture, but everyone has said how feral the hostel is. I thought about Bundaberg for the Rum distillery, but I've done breweries and couldn't find a hostel there. I didn't feel either place warranted an overnight stay. Mackay however promises the chance at seeing a Platypus.

I've been wearing my England cricket top today. You know the one that Briggsy thinks makes me look like a football hooligan. Anyway an old lady stopped me in the street today and said how smart it looked. I think her guide dog agreed.

No comments: