Monday, April 19, 2004

Monday 19th April 2004, Day 219/366 - Matamata, New Zealand.

I finished book 18. 'Billy' by Pamela Stephenson. The wivey describes the life of her husband. Very funny and fascinating. A tale that should give everyone hope.

I had a leisurely start to the day and then headed out to Waitomo Caves where I signed up for the Black Water Rafting @ $75. If you don't know what Black Water Rafting is, as I didn't, then it's basically find a dank cave with cold water in it, get a rubber ring and go for it. You get fully kitted out in Miners helmet and a wet suit and then have to take the initiation ceremony. Basically its a backward 2 metre jump, with your rubber ring attached to your butt into icy water.

That successfully achieved we headed to the dank hole and were off. We had 2 waterfalls to jump off underground. The first was the smaller of the 2 but the ever fearless jap still managed to jump out too far and smash his head into the rocks. Talk about Kamikaze, they really know no fear. The noise of helmet clattering into rocks resonated around the cave. When he eventually came up to the surface everyone stood around looking for a while as he was lying face down, (they also have no survival instincts). Eventually the guide clambered down grabbed him and pulled him out. He had a massive smile on his face. Crazy fool. He was fine.

After the 2nd bigger jump, we formed a large eel (basically you wedge the person behind you's feet under your shoulders) turned out our lamps and moved along the cave in total darkness, on our rings. When you look up you get to see glowworms. It's truly magical. It's like a Disney theme park ride only real and 100 times better. For me it was breathtaking. I think everyone was in awe. It was a very special experience and we got a part of the cave that most people don't.

The guides were informative, funny and excellent as ever. Black Water Rafting was one of the most stupid things that I've ever done in my life, but it was equally special.

Afterwards we were treated to warm showers, warm soup and bagels. Went to leave and my car wouldn't start. It was dead. The rescue drive diagnosed a dead battery and gave me a jump start. It's lucky that I got 2 free pick ups with my insurance. It's a bit of a bugger because i was hoping to take the car to the auctions tomorrow.

I got home safely and was treated to Number 47 again. This time it was beef Curry. Briggsy said it was 'Yummy'