Saturday, April 17, 2004

Saturday 17th April 2004, Day 217/366 - Taupo, New Zealand to Matamata, New Zealand.

It was our last night in the tent and as much fun as it has been i can't deny that I'm looking forward to some home comforts and early morning warmth at the Tanners. I'm gonna miss Briggsy stories to send me to sleep.

We had an early start at 7.50 for our fly fishing expedition with Adam from Go Fish. It cost $100 for 4 hours fishing including all the gear plus $12.50 for the days fishing license. We met Adam and he noticed Briggsy and I were travelling in separate cars.

Adam : "So are you guys with each other?"
Briggsy : "God no" she responded emphatically.

I'm not sure I like her tone.

I've never fly fished, but have done a fair bit of coarse fishing. I found the fly fishing was more like trying to stalk the fish instead of just sticking your tackle in and waiting for a fish to come along and take the bait. Coarse fishing is much more relaxing, at least you get to sit down and have a rest. In fly fishing you need to be able to cast well everytime to ensure good presentation of the fly. I found that intensely frustrating and as the river was flowing fast you were forever taking in slack, then giving some slack before re casting. It didn't help that none of even had a sniff of a bit. The water was crystal and when it's like that the fish lie very deep and are easily spooked. If only Briggsy would fall in again. That would make my day. It was a lovely day and a lovely place to fish, not quite the Blazingsmoke canal but it'll do.



Happy as a Pig who looks dashing.




No wonder I wasn't catching.


We lunched on the banks of Lake Taupo, it was a gorgeous day and then headed back to Matamata. On the way back it struck me that 'I'm in New Zealand.' It sounds daft but occasionally you need these reality checks. It's a pretty crazy reality.



Lunch on Lake Taupo.


When we arrived at the Tanners we had afternoon tea, G and T's and home made pizzas. I had a letter waiting for me from my Mum. Apparently my Mum gets frustrated when my Dad sends the Emails as he condenses all the news. So now I know all about my cats and what's going on with my house. I also had another letter waiting. This time from the New Zealand police. Yep you guessed it. A speeding fine. $80 for doing 64kmph in a 50 in Greymouth on the 20th March. Doh!