Wednesday, April 28, 2004

Wednesday 28th April 2004, Day 228/366 - Matamata, New Zealand to Christchurch, New Zealand.

Vive La Duke of York's

I must thank the Tanners. There hospitality over the last 10 days has been superb. I can not thank them enough. I continue to be bowled over by people taking weary travellers off the street. Vive la Forum, Vive la Dukie network.

So after 2 months it's back to fitting my life in a back pack and learning to live out of it again. Michelle very kindly gave me lift to Hamilton airport as she was on her way to Auckland. I decided to fly to Christchurch as it is the cheapest and most convenient option ($126). I suppose I could have changed my Austrailia flight to depart from Auckland, but that still would have cost me money to change it and |i would have had to get there and find some where to stay. Plus I really enjoyed my time in Christchurch and I have some things to sort out like mail and my bike and to catch up with Liz. The ferry was the other option, but it's far too expensive and without a car I would have had to take the bus or train.

I'm looking forward to seeing Christchurch and the South Island again even if it is just for a short time and from the air.

Finished book number 20. Bill Bryson - Notes from a Big Country. After BB moved back to America he was asked to write a weekly article for the UK Sunday Times. The book is his first 76 articles. Each article is funny, I think it's his best book I've read.

It was cold, wet and overcast (not in an English way), but I was instantly delighted to see the braided rivers, the luscious green fields and the mountains in the distance. I love New Zealand, but I'm in love with the South Island.

I booked into the hostel, did my laundry and then started the same walk that I took on my first day in Christchurch out towards the University. It took me through Hagley Park beside the river and pond through the fallen autumn leaves. I even stopped to watch the girls egg chasing. It was divine, even better than I remembered.

Christchurch and the south Island encapsulate everything (except football) that I love about the UK and put it all in a tidy little package. My mind was flooded with thoughts as it often is. Not bad ones. I'm happy to report that at this moment in time I am happy and content and my mind is clear in what I must do.

I have a challenge ahead of me. I am determined not to be awkward and a miserable twat with Liz. We had a good chat on the phone the other day and I'm confident that we can get back to the Hawaii good times........

When I take a step back and look at what I'm up to it doesn't feel like it's me. I don't recognise the person that I am at the moment, but I quite like him.

The Japanese crack me up. There was a melee of about 50 of them all crowded around a little school kid, dressed in bonnet, blazer, knee socks and shorts. Everyone of the Japs wanted there photo taken with him. Bless him, he just wanted to get on with his homework.