Friday, April 09, 2004

Thursday 8th April 2004, Day 208/366 - Paihia, New Zealand

Happy Birthday Dad!

I decided that discretion was the better part of valour and that today was not a good day to die. So I took the day off diving to consider the why's, what's and wherefores.

I went for a drive north heading up the 90 mile beach to Cape Reigna. The 90 mile beach isn't 90 miles, but it is a beach and you can drive up it or at least I did. There are 100 kmph roadsigns and everything. It is lovely as well. It was going great until I decided to stop and take in the view. When I went to get back in the car I'd managed to park it on soft sand and gradually my car was sinking. I thought I'd sit there for a while and ask the next person to come along to give me a hand. An hour came and went and I didn't see a soul and the tide was coming in. I decided I should walk back down the beach to get to a phone or find someone to help. Well it took me 2 hours to walk back to the entrance to the beach (about 10 kms) and I still hadn't seen anyone willing to help. I did however spot the sign that I'd obviously flown passed in my haste to get on the beach. It warned that you drive on the beach at your own risk and that many cars have been lost to the sea.

I stopped at a holiday park and asked for assistance, they just offered the use of there phone. There was no one about with a 4x4 who was willing to drive up the beach to rescue me so I phoned my insurance company. I get 2 free recoveries with my policy, but alas it doesn't cover the 90 mile beach. I phoned a couple of towing companies, they quoted around $180, but there trucks were currently out of action.

After another hour I eventually found a company that was willing to come out and help. Another hour later this dodgey guy in a massive truck rocked up. Thankfully the car was where I had left it. No one had nicked it and the Ocean hadn't swallowed it. Approximately 2 minutes later I was back on the road/beach following the dodgey guy so I could pay him $120 for the privilege of having him rescuing me. I think in the end I got off lightly. Got some cracking photo's though.







Car Burying.


It is a lovely beach, but next time I drive it I'll be in a 4x4 and it'll be low tide or on an organised tour.

I decided to give the cape a miss for today and headed 4 Paihia to meet the dive team and get drunk. I actually caught myself smiling for the first time in a long time today when I am alone. I was not thinking of current issues but I was thinking back on my trip and remembering with fondness all the cool places I'd been to and of all the people I consider to be my friends and what a lucky bloke I am.

I met up with Ty, Char and Chris (truly nice welsh people, never thought I'd say that). They both qualified and survived so we went for a drink. As for the diving I won't let it defeat me.



The Dive team in Crayfish mode. (l to r) Chris, Charl, Tyray, Me (spoiling another photo).




Tyray and I giving the now legendary signal.











The 7 stages of hitting the drink wall.