Saturday, April 03, 2004

Saturday 3rd April 2004, Day 203/366 - Wellington, New Zealand to New Plymouth

Sorry had my .................... thoughtful head on yesterday and I am okay. I just couldn't be bothered with all the hassle of talking to people. Going to the Smiths gig helped no end. What is it about lyrics like 'Girlfriend in a Coma', 'Heaven knows I'm miserable now', 'Strangeways here we come'. 'The Queen is Dead', 'Hang the DJ', 'Shoplifeter of the world unite and take over', 'If a ten ton truck crashes in to us, to die by your side, well the pleasure the privilege is mine' and of course 'Sweetness I was joking when I said you should be bludgeoned in your bed' that cheers me up. It helped that they finished with my fave song 'London'. They weren't as good as the real thing, but as good as you'll get at this stage. They had worked hard and got the songs and the mannerisms down to a tee.

Woke up early again and hit the road to New Plymouth. Not good to wake up early after having a skinful of beer, too little sleep and a dodgy curry. I'm not really going to miss Wellington. It's lacking a certain....... well it's lacking pretty much everything . Best thing I can say about it, is that it's where you catch the ferry to the South Island.

I stopped off in Wanganui which was a small, quiet, locals town. It was nice enough but dead on a Saturday. I carried on up to Hawera and then round the Surf Highway which takes you around the base of Mount Taranaki, which rises out of the earth like a giant pimple. I had a quick stop in Opunake 'Home of the famous surf', but the surf wasn't at home or at least there was no one out there surfing.

When I got to the hostel all I wanted to do was crash on my bed and endure a hangover, but no I have to wait 4 hours for reception to open at 17.00.

Why do sheep scarper when you toot the horn, but cows stand still? Are they deaf to certain tone?