Wednesday, April 21, 2004

Wednesday 21st April 2004, Day 221/366 - Matamata, New Zealand.

Briggsy leaves

Happy Birthday Pilgrim!

Briggsy was off early this morning. A few tears and a hole to fill. Actually the position isn't really vacant as I know I've made a friend, but she's just a little bit further away. Have a safe trip. As least i get to stay in the flat now and Alice can have her bedroom back. Oh yeah and you owe me a pair of socks!



Carol.




The Tanners.




The Ice Maiden Cracks.


The Tanners very kindly lent me there farm vehicle (at least it's reliable) to head into Matamata. You've got to love the warehouse. It's like a quality version of Wilkinsons. I bought 6 buckets for $4. 4 books for £13. A personal CD player for $42. A Cd Travel Wallet for $3. A snorkel and mask for $ 18 and Deodorant for $6. Total spend $86 about £30.

I bought the bucket for the Tanners 73c each. Apparently they are not ideal for putting out fires, but how often do you have a fire on a farm, Briggsy?

The 4 books were a bargain and they weren't any old tat. They were 'the Suspicious death of Heinrich Himmler', 'Pearl Harbour', 'Tolkein's autobiography' and 'Bodyguard tales' by that chap who survived the Diana crash.

The CD player was a total bargain, mind how long it lasts is anyone's guess. Music is essential when you're away. It brings out all your memories. It serves me right for leaving my last CD player on my bunk in the hostel in Auckland, Doh!

The travel wallet will take away all my bulky CD cases.

The snorkel and mask because I need to practise, before I get to the barrier reef.

The deodorant because I smell (ask Briggsy) was quite expensive in the overall scheme of things.

I had a haircut in Matamata today. It's probably the worst haircut ever by some dithering old fool. He didn't bother combing my hair or anything. He just cut the bits that stuck out. The problem is that my hair comes out at all angles.

Anyway that's enough boring drivel lets talk about farming instead. Today I had lesson 3 (shame I can't remember the first 2) in farming, by Eric Tanner. Todays topic was silage. Basically you have to feed the cows on silage (or hay) during the winter as the grass stops growing. The sheep are fine on grass because they have teeth and chew it. Cows wrap the grass around there tongues and pull. Eric and I had a fight with a bale of silage and won (eventually). It was heavy. I find the whole lifestyle fascinating. My ISCO test at school said I should be a 'Phsychologist' or 'farmer'. There's still time yet, just need to bulk up a bit.



Silage fighting.




The Moo Cows.