Friday, April 23, 2004

Thursday 22nd April 2004, Day 222/366 - Matamata, New Zealand.

The Trots

I spent the morning camped out on the deck reading in the lovely sunshine overlooking the front paddock. There can't be many nicer places.



In the afternoon I headed off to the Trots (no it's not what you're thinking) in Cambridge. The trots is harness racing, basically horse towing a trailer. They also have Greyhound racing. I've never been to the Dog's before and it's something I've always wanted to do. In true Kiwi style it's all very laid back. With 15 minuted to go before the first race I got into the track without paying (turns out it was free anyway), the bookies hadn't opened yet and there was hardly anyone about.



The Trots.


They had 10 Greyhound races and 10 Harness, so that's 20 chances to lose my money. The betting is the same as it is in the UK, although the odds are very poor. There were a few horses that would be at 6-1 but normal they were between 1 and 3 to 1. I like to have a punt on the real underdogs. They also didn't have the turf accountants by the side of the track which I feel always add to the atmosphere. I think they should make dog racing even more exciting by using real hares instead of bits of rags.

My betting judgment was very poor to begin with and sods law states that the race that I don't bet on, the horse that I would have bet on wins. Eventually Blue Paragon did the business for me, but to say I had a winning streak would be pushing it. My driver always seemed to look like he was out for an Sunday Cruise. He was never using his whip and the fact he was smoking a fat cigar should have given me a clue that he wasn't a winner.

I have a steadfast theory that 'always' works in the UK when it comes to betting on Greyhounds. I always bet on the dog that empties his bowels before getting into the stalls. My theory being that he will be lighter than the other dogs. Even that theory didn't work over here.

As it turns out the Naughty Milkmaid was also at the trots so it was an ideal chance for us to meet up. It struck me that I was actually a little nervous about meeting up. Seems stupid when you think about all the people I've met since I've been away. Bloody control freak. I think it all went rather well, bearing in mind that I'm a miserable twat.

............ and Briggsy nobody died. Sorry to disappoint.