Thursday, April 01, 2004

Thursday 1st April 2004, Day 201/366 - Napier, New Zealand to Wellington.

The real posting.

Took a scenic drive that Bob the Hostel Manager had suggested. It followed the Tukituki river south and down to Ocean Beach then on to Waimarama. On the loop back you go to the top of Te Mata Peak where you get a breathtaking 360 degree view for as far as the eye can see in all directions.

Then it was back on the road again for the 300 kms drive to Wellington. I'm getting so bored of this solo driving. The tapes I bought are really monotonous and I can't find any radio stations. To my mind there also aren't enough hitchhikers to pick up. I can't find any.

Wellington feels like a big city with lots of traffic and confusing one way systems. In reality it has half the population of Christchurch and also half the character and charm. It is however the nations capital. Once I got out and had a walk around I started to like the place. It had a certain buzz to it although it felt along way from the New Zealand that I'd come to know and love.

Saw a couple of cracking signs today. Firstly 'Warning pickpockets and loose women' on a sign to a bar. Secondly 'I'm here now what were your other 2 wishes?'

I bought some dental floss. See I do listen. Apex Car rental was closed. I'll get the buggers tomorrow to get my ferry refund. Bought a ticket to a Smiths tribute band gig. I'm very excited about it as I've never been to a gig before. Finished the evening by going to watch 'Aragorn's' new movie 'Hidalgo' and you know what, it was bloody awful.