Saturday, January 24, 2004

Friday 23rd January 2004, Day 132/273 - Portland, Oregon.

Took a walk up Vista Drive. I should have guessed from the name that it was a walk up a hill for a great view over the city. Well it would have been a great view had it not been raining so hard.

I totally missed Washington Park. Apparently it's a big green thing with a zoo, a Japanese garden and a rose garden in.  According to the map I'm standing right in the middle of it, but I can't see it. I'm sure it's lovely.

So I carried on into town, found a McDonald's and walked straight past. How brave!

I've really got to stop spending money, but they were bargains. I got an Eddie Bauer jumper for $20 and 2 pairs of Ralph Lauren boxers for $8, but you probably didn't want to know that.

I went to the cinema again. As there wasn't a lot of choice I watched 'Win a date with Tad Hamilton' which was terrible, but at least I was inside and drying. I was the only guy in the cinema.

It was still raining so I stayed in the cinema and watched 'Big fish'. From the trailers I thought it looked weird and probably wouldn't have been my choice, but it's been nominated for an award and everyone raves about Tim Burton movies. I'm glad I went to see it as it is an excellent film.

Came out of the cinema and was confronted with.

"Hi, I'm from Vienna and I'm staying in the temple and I want to teach you some things."

Bloo - "No, its okay thanks"

"but it's important."

Bloo - "To you"

Got back to the hostel and decided to go to the cinema with my new friend Maegan, from Chicago or Alaska or wherever she ends up. The Mission theatre is a little different from a normal cinema. Its a pub and restaurant that plays movies. For $3 you gain entry and can eat and drink whilst watching the movie. We saw Bad Santa which was so funny. Shame about the ending.

I'm disappointed in my lack of ability to drink anymore. I ended the evening on Jack and Coke and halfway through my last one I hit the wall. Maegan was telling a story about how she was false charged by a brown bear. Great story, but she knew that I'd had enough. I tried to look interested (as I genuinely was), but my eyes gave me away. She had to walk me back to hostel as I was incapable and my bed was calling. I slept like I was in a coma. A bear mauling me wouldn't have woken me.


You should have seen this woman trying to skate


Just a rather funky bridge