Tuesday, January 20, 2004

Tuesday 20th January 2004, Day 129/273 - Seattle, Washington to Portland, Oregon.

Signed off a little early yesterday. As you may have been able to tell I had a little something to get off my chest. Before you all write in of course I know who MLK was and what a huge place he has in history. His autobiography is next on my reading list.

So first to finish my Monday. The hostel offers free food on Monday, Wednesday and Friday's. Monday night was Taco night and nothing gets a bunch of travellers going like free food. It was like the Duke of York's all over again. Remember in the junior school when your mess was called up everyone used to power walk to the serving hatch (you weren't allowed to run). It wasn't until senior school that we realised that it was always the same tat they served and there was plenty of it. My Dad always said that I went to school with good table manners and they taught me worse ones.

This was actually worse than that. It was like a pride of lions (who hadn't washed in years and had piercings everywhere) stalking an injured Gazelle. Then they devoured the tacos as if they were ripping the limbs off that Gazelle. I passed on the Taco's.

I got bored. Boredom is a big thing when travelling and unfortunately there is nothing cheap and safe to do in America. Needless to say that's when you spend money. I needed something light-hearted so I went to watch the new Ben Stiller and Jennifer Aniston movie 'Along came Polly'. The film was very funny, but not mindless for me.

Whenever I see a film where the wife cheats it gets my mind whirring and eats me up. As much as I enjoy travelling I still feel this massive pull towards conformity, you know, good job, nice house, nice car, wife and kids etc. I always felt to young for that, I know I was married, but I always saw those things ahead of me. Now I'm 28, jobless, carless, divorced and you wonder if it's going to happen or whether I want it to happen. It's lucky now that I have an attitude of c'est la vie. I feel like I wasted my younger days. They always said that your school days are your best days. They're not, but the years directly afterwards should be. I'm only now working out who I am and what I want. In short consider your options wisely.

Anyway Tuesday morning arrived and I got up early and walked to the train station to catch the 10 am train to Portland, Oregon for $23. I know I'm going back down the country, but I have a date with the Harlem Globetrotters on the 24th.

Sitting on the train in suddenly struck me that I still have a pain in my but tocks from snowboarding. Maybe I have done some serious damage or maybe I'm just sitting on my loose change.

Arrived in Portland at 14.00. Fast Huh. 4 hours to cover not even 200 miles. Walked to the HI at 1818 NW Gilsan which is reasonable and only charges $16 a night.

Portland seems like a nice compact little city. Everything's in walking distance. I took a walk up to the Nob Hill area which is a nice little district with bars and boutiques. Haven't really found a place like this in America. I stopped for a 'gourmet' pizza which seemed an interesting concept to me. How can 8 inch diameter of baked bread with stodge on top be described as 'gourmet'. I know, it's when they charge you $15 for it, but I have made a pact with myself. No more McDonald's or the like and I'm going to start running again (occasionally). I've also stopped drinking fizzy drinks (beers okay as are mixers). At home I would drink over a litre of coke a day. That can’t be good for you. Lets see how long I last. Mark this date in your diary.

Question of the day. Why do owners of the new VW Beetle have to put a flower on the dashboard. Are they all just a bit 'wacky' and 'out there'. Before you say anything, yes America does have Beetles. I think they buy them for there 10 year olds to learn to drive in.