Wednesday, January 21, 2004

Wednesday 21st January 2004, Day 130/273 - Portland, Oregon.

Woke up to a crisp day in Portland with the sun trying to burn through the early morning fog. I wish it would hurry up because I'm chuffing freezing.

The hostel is 19 blocks from the water front where I was headed. In most cities 19 blocks is an onerous task, but here it is a comparative delight. The blocks are much smaller than normal and are far better viewing.

I had to cross the river to get to the Rose Garden to pick up my tickets for Saturday. The city is separated by the Willamette River. The downtown area is on the westside (where I am staying), but there is still things to do on the east side although I don't think I'll get a chance to explore them.

Having collected my tickets I took the eastside riverwalk that gives you some great views of down town. My first impression of Portland wasn't great. As I pulled into the train station all you see are factory chimneys and ugliness. Don't let that put you off coming here. It's a nice place to be.

Portland is home of the biggest independent book store in America. It's huge. You get a free map to find your way round and you could easily spend all day here.

I haven't had a McDonald's yet, mainly because I can't find one.

Finished book 14. Bill Bryson - 'A Walk in the Woods'. I laughed my pants off as ever, but he always teaches you something. Today I learnt that in an average week an American walks just 1.4 miles. That includes walking from the car to the office and around the supermarket. Amazing.