Monday, January 19, 2004

Sunday 18th January 2004, Day 127/273 - Seattle, Washington.

Took a walk up to the Space Needle. It looks like something out of War of the Worlds. The area that this is on is known as the Seattle Centre and is looking slightly dated now. I took the monorail back into town as I was getting wet.



Seattle has the tallest tower west of the Mississippi (I thought that's what the Stratosphere claimed) and it also had the tallest tower west of the Mississippi until the 1960's. It fascinating to see how quickly things have progressed. It's nice that people live, work, shop and go out around here. Like I said there's plenty here, but the locals want to keep it a secret.

I ended up in an Irish bar watching the American Football Championship games. Funny fact (I think) the Indianapolis Colts punter hasn't had to punt in the last 2 games. That's his job, that's what he gets paid $2m a year for and he hasn't had to do it. He's just stood on the sideline. Today the Colts were at last forced to punt and the punter would get a chance to earn his money until he gets a snap that sails over his head and into the endzone for a safety. Doh!

Watching all the adverts I'm so glad that I am leaving the States in 2 weeks. They really are mind numbing. The next reality TV show is 'My Big Fat Obnoxious Fiancée'. It's time to stop right now. I think the bottom of the barrel was scraped about 10 shows ago.

By the end of the day I was drinking car bombs. That's half a Guinness in a pint glass and a tumbler of baileys and whiskey. You drop the tumbler in the Guinness it explodes and you down it in one.

The food was really good, very expensive and very Irish. I enjoyed my Irish stew (still not as good as my mum's), shepherds pie and Carlsberg's, not sure my credit card did.